1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbeeeeeee

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wfduggan, Sep 7, 2015.

1. wfduggan

wfduggan Junior Member

Hello all, new here, new to the industry. Learning as much as I can before winter hits. Open to all info and suggestions.

I own a painting and GC company and last year winter crippled us and we starved money wise. So I found another way to make money when the ice is down and we can't work, enter snow plowing.

Quick question, but killing two birds with one stone.

My rig is a 7-1/2 inch meyer setup on my 1/2 ton Dodge gasser. (Heavy 1/2 ton which means 3/4 setup with 1/2 ton springs)

To the question of the day, I'm concerned about the extra weight on the front, would getting some heavier front springs be ideal? maybe some diesel front springs. open to some ideas. This particular truck is a permanent plow truck. It's a spare truck in my yard, so it's just going to be left ready to go all year.

Thanks in advance

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Welcome:waving:

Another moparThumbs Up
    What year truck?
    5 lugs is. 1/2 ton not matter how they slice it.
    And 8 lug is 2500 or 3500' and there are different axels that use 8 lug but any way.
    You have. 1500

Yes you can install diffrent coil springs, but that does it change what the sticker in the door jam sayes or your axels weight rating or the size of your brakes.

Try searching the dodge section,
    You will find write ups on changing the springs and the diffrent spring rates.

Your weak link is the front axel.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  3. wfduggan

wfduggan Junior Member

awesome! Thanks.

IT's a 96' 1500 360 motor Auto, with a flat bed with gooseneck hitch (cattle country here)

It's a tank that I can't seam to kill. Been used and abused and put away wet and it just won't die. Still looks decent too. I blew the trans once but that was poor maintenance by a driver otherwise would have kept on going. It's got almost 300k on the chassis. and it survived my step daughter learning to drive in it. LOL.

4. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Get timberins cheap and easy, helps with sagging.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

And for about $20-$50 more he can easily replace his old worn springs with new ones.

timmys do work, but they are not a replacement for springs that are fatigued.