1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbee from the UK

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by landrover, Jan 17, 2010.

1. landrover

landrover Junior Member
    from UK

Hi to all.

Live in UK south of London. We have had 2 falls this year of 1-2 foot.

I am landscaper by trade and can not work when what you are trying to landscape is under the white stuff.

Looking at buying a plow to fit on my Land Rover 110.

Looking at this and woundering what you pro's think.

http://www.jakewright.com/vehicle/forSale.aspx if you scroll down to the bottom there is a picture of a plow to fit my truck.

Any thought's

Cheers :help:

2. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

You'd be a lot happier if you had something that had power angle rather than manual angle like that blade's got.

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I know you don't get a ton of snow, but that looks more then just weak... Do they have any testimonials? Are there not some better options out of other parts of Europe?

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I don"t know how much snow you get ,but I know that plow is not going to take much abuse.If you are going to plow commercial I would look for something a little stronger.How much are they asking for that plow?You might be able to get a fisher for not much more.I really don"t know what they sell for plows in the U.K

5. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

6. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Welcome landrover.

I agree with having a plow that angles and one that is durable also.

Just for other members that want to be able to relate to the weather conditions in the UK. I'll post these recent articles for those who feel obliged.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/01/04/pub-s-snowed-inn-115875-21940602/ scroll to the top.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1243508/Girl-11-latest-fatality-big-freeze-snow-translates-flood-warnings.html Very tragic.

http://crowboroughnews.blogspot.com/2009/12/snow-joke.htmlKind of humorous at the end.

:waving: from across the pond.

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

He said south of London... they do get the large ones like he talked about, but it is like snow in Vancouver, it happens, but not consistent.

8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Crowborough is south of London. The other two articles are from considerably further north.

The thing is the UK is considerably under serviced for winter storms and I think it is great that some people over there are trying to be pro-active about it. There is no reason why buses should be sliding out of control, people dieing, and people getting stranded. I hope the few people from the UK that are members here are offered good advice from us. After all Canadian and American snow/ice professionalism is the envy of the rest of the world when it comes to this work.

It seems only the main highways see any attention over there. What good is that if you can't get to them safely? Small snow storms and ice is more dangerous than the large snow falls, especially when nothing is done about them.

There is a need and demand for snow/ice management companies there. I think it could be very lucrative. :drinkup:

I just posted the articles so people aren't making assumptions about every UK member they may see on this board. They are looking for our professional experience and knowledge. We know we can't help with legalities and pricing, but we can still help.;)

9. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

1: I wouldn't plow if my only option was to manually angle the plow. I couldn't be efficient enough to make any money.

2: That particular plow would be broken within a matter of a few snowfalls even if I was taking it really easy.

3: Just about any plow can be fitted to any truck within reason by someone who has basic metal working skills, a torch, and a welder. Obviously you need to consider the limits of the truck.....you wouldn't mount a 9' 6" V plow on a Ford Ranger, even though it's technically possible.

Just my 3 cents. I have no idea what your options are in the UK in terms of snow removal equipment. You'd have to look around and see if there are any distributors for Western/Fisher/Blizzard/etc. Or, possibly you have some manufacturers in the UK that make something more substantial than what is in those photos.

10. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

You definitely don't want a manual angle plow. You will need to be efficient to fully take advantage of your niche in the market over there, and its tough to move quickly if you have to get out to angle the plow. If your going to make the investment of a plow, you might as well invest in something that will really make you some money.

11. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

for the amount of snow you get there, you could live with the manual angle, but, that plow won't stand much use. it would be ok for 1 or 2 drives.... no more, even the "snow bear" that is sold over hear is heavier then that.

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

First and formost welcome to PS.
    What everyone else has said, that one will just not last. I found a Fisher dealer in Scotland it may be a drive but its a great plow.

PEACOCK SALT LTD
    North Harbour
    Ayr, Scotland KA8 8AE

Phone: 01292 292000
    Email: info@peacocksalt.co.uk

Or you can get a Meyer in the Holland 31(0)548514125

Good luck, let us know how you made out. :drinkup:

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

14. landrover

landrover Junior Member
    from UK

Hi Guys.

Thank you all for your quick responses.

Think that i will give that plow a miss then!

When it does snow here, we are just not prepared for it. Only the main highways are plowed and gritted (sand).

Does mean though that there are lots of drives and lots around that are covered in snow and very few plows around.

Will look up all the makes you talked about and see if i can pick one up in the UK.

What do you look for when you are buying a plow? Are there any pointers that you think might be useful.

Thanks again for your Help

Land rover

15. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Parts and service availability would be one of the most important things.
    Have you ever considered salting and or gritting too. It can be profitable. Often more so than plowing if the snow falls are small.

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think we need to make a road trip to England so we can plow the country out. Then be knighted by the Queen for saving the country!

17. landrover

landrover Junior Member
    from UK

Welcome any time. :drinkup:

Not sure i can manage the Knighthood though!

18. landrover

landrover Junior Member
    from UK

19. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

That one will be too heavy for your truck.

20. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member