1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbe...salting rate per acre?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jimweed, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Jimweed

Jimweed Junior Member

Aparently I am now in the snow clearing business. I have mounted up two trucks with plows (9' Boss V-plows) and salters, have one skid steer bobcat and absolutely no idea what I am getting into. I have 1 contract with 18acres of flat asphalt at a food distribution warehouse.

I need to order some salt to pile onsite and was wondering how much salt it takes to cover an acre and at what temperature I should be spreading it.

Thank you in advance for any advice,, Jim...Vancouver Canada.

2. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

Hey Jim,

I have the same questions about quantity of salt. I think it is going to depend on what kind of winter we have. You should plan for worst case scenario keep a close eye on how fast your going through it, and your ability to restock it if necessary. I assume we are talking bulk salt. If it was me I would start with one full load 15 yards I believe. I did this last year (with bagged salt $4500 worth) and as you know it was a very mild winter up here. You gotta cover your but and plan for worst case scenario.

3. Jimweed

Jimweed Junior Member

Hey Boss,

Yes bulk salt. I was thinking to have 33 tons delivered to the site. It is $95 per ton and about $400 for delivery. But I still have no idea how far a ton of salt will spread, well.... I guess I will soon enough.

Thanks for the reply,, Jim.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

600 lbs/acre is a good place to start. I'm not eactly sure how much snow you get in Victoria but with 18 acres you'll go through quite a bit of salt. You might want to look into joing Sima, there is alot of info I think you need to know. Check out the link under my post.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Lamar Gillett said it best ~ It's better to be lucky than good.

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

But use my name as opposed to his name. :D
    oh and thanks for an answer, I was wondering too.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ha ha..........

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Why are you not in school? :nono:

9. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Jim, I am sure you have figured it out by now. But if you need some help I am local just call or e-mail.

10. Jimweed

Jimweed Junior Member

Thanks Brett. I haven't totally figured out much of anything yet. It is going to be a learning curve, this is for sure. Smarty I decided to pass off the large job and picked up a couple smaller warehouses in Langley. Maybe 8 acres in total. I am going to start with 10 tons of salt and see how long that lasts. Jim. jweedaway@msn.com

11. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Jim,

We are based in portkells and go from 200th to Boudary rd in Burnaby. Do you go as far south as 58 and 152nd ...I have a property there that is too far south for me.

12. Jimweed

Jimweed Junior Member

Hey Bret, I am sure we can handle that one for you. Send me an email with the address, I know that area well. I spray the lawns at almost every new warehouse in that area. And if we get super dumped on I may need some help in Port Kells where my larger snow clearing site is.

On another note...I was thinking of switching from Supersave to a new bin company at my home. We don't get regular garbage pick up along 16th ave where I live in Langley. Was wondering if you know anyone in the garbage pick up business. I just have a small bin dumped twice a month at my home by Supersave but.....

Cheers,, Jim. jweedaway@msn.com

I do have a website in process at Envirocare.ca ,,, but email is fine.