1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbe Questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by musicman402, Sep 13, 2011.

1. musicman402

musicman402 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks for such a great site! Learned allot already. This is my first post here, Bought a 1 yr old Western Poly blade Ultramount Pro Plow, I will be mounting it on my 88 1500 Chevy. My question is I've heard allot on here about Timbrens, are they the best suspension helpers for the front of my truck? Also I'm in need of a ultramount and wiring harness for my truck, if anyone has one lying around they would like to get rid of let me know. Any tips for wiring the truck for the plow would be a great help too. Thanks in advance everyone!!!!

2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

they help i put them on the back of my truck also depending on how rusty your truck is you can also turn the torsion bars to help support it. wirings pretty simple just follow the instructions and take your time i got the instructions from a local western dealer

3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

westernplows.com can tell you everything on hoe to wire it up
    timbrens are the best but its alot of work to put them in.

as far as the harness hopefully someone on here has lying around for you

good luck and welcome to plowsite .

4. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite! More information then you know what to do with on here.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

In order for people to know what kind of mount & wiring you need you must say what kind of truck you have... Make, year, model, etc. You might try going to the Western website and use the quickmatch feature. It is pretty simple, just answer the questions and it will tell you what part numbers you need then you can ask for prices for new at your nearest Western dealer. This will give you an idea of what kind of a deal you are getting when someone makes you and offer. Here is a link to quickmatch

http://quickmatch.westernplows.com/vehinfo.asp

6. musicman402

musicman402 Junior Member

Yes thanks, that is why in my original post I said the plow will be mounted on my 88 Chevrolet 1500. And that the plow is a ultramount. I guess I failed to mention the truck is a four wheel drive.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

As you will see when you use quickmatch they need to know more than year and basic model. They ask about headlamp type, body style, engine size and all kinds of other stuff, if it matters. In some cases they ask little but when you are pushing the size of plow on a smaller truck every little thing makes a difference. For example, diesel vs gas often makes the difference between wheather a truck will accept a plow or not simply because the diesel weighs so much the front end can't handle a large plow. Further to this point, all the newer western plows are ultramount, so... the vehicle side mount will be the same for all plows but if you have a wide-out or an HTS it makes a big difference too. I guess my point is that without knowing what kind of ultramount plow you have we might be helping you buy the mount & wires for a plow that is way too big for the truck. I hope I am not boreing you with all this, I just want to be sure you get things right the first time. At my shop we get people every year who have bought a used plow at auction and "made it fit" on a truck that is too small and then they are angry when we tell them we can't make it work.