1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newB!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by krklinegvr4, Dec 1, 2008.

1. krklinegvr4

krklinegvr4 Junior Member

New here. Joined up with the intentions to learn from others. I know nothing about plows except that they move snow around.

I bought a 95 F150 and was looking into putting a plow on it for the winter. Start off with a cheap plow setup (couple hundred bucks) and see how it goes.

If anyone can help with what different kind of plows there are and what I can use on my pick up, that would be a start.

-K

Hyannis, MA

2. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

if you look at the top of the Plowsite page, you'll see links to several plow manufacturers. Go to the manufacturer's website and use their plow selection tool. Check craigslist for cheap plows. GL

3. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Welcome!
    You could spend hours reading posts here. Most of your questions have probably been asked here before. As a fellow newbie, I know mine have. Just search the various forums here and you'll be innundated with usefull information!

4. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

You'll find lots of info through a search. I think you may have a very difficult time finding a plow setup for a couple hundred bucks. Especially at this time of year.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Get a 7 1/2 foot blade, get anything under 700# Put 500# of ballast weight behind the rear axle, and you'll be pushing some snow.

6. krklinegvr4

Thanks for the replys.

I actually had already searched CL before I joined up here. I found a 8' diamond plow setup there for short money. In the ad it just said my loss your gain just need it gone. Best offer... So I called and made an offer... $200. He took it, Sounded like a kid that just has a plow in his yard and wants to get rid of it. Im going to pick it up tonight when I get off work and see whats up with it.For that short of money.... I really cant complain. Service it, find out whats wrong with it (if anything) and take it from there. He said it came off a GMC 3500 and it worked fine when it came off. :rolleyes: Either its broken or he has never bought/sold these things before and just wants it gone. Probably not even his...

Anyways... I got some pics off the ad. It looks like its missing the up and down piston to move the unit vertically??? Going to get the model number and stuff then look it up to see what it consits off. I assume it will probably need a control box at the least. Looks like a steal so far though. The blade alone is worth the money I am spending.

Look forward to talking with you guys. I went by the DPW today and picked up a packet. Going to look over all the terms, conditions and requirements I have to meet to get setup for the town. JUst a little side thing to do on top of my day job. wesport

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

First an 8' is to big for a 1/2 ton truck, second I might be wrong, but that looks an awful lot like a municipal plow for a big truck, I bet that plow without any pump, mount, lights weighs at least 850# alone. I'm sure it came off a 1 ton or better. Third the reason why you don't see a lift cylinder is because it is a chain lift, ie: the lift cylinder mounts to the front of your truck and stays there, the new chain lift plows are part of the A-frame that stays with the plow. I personally would keep looking, you will spend $400-500 for a lift pump and another $200 for wiring and lights. So your going to end up with a $1000 dollars in a plow that you won't be able to sell for $500 down the road. I would look for a newer decent blade for $1500. I just sold a 7 year old Hiniker 8' with mount and wiring for $1500, I probably could have got close to $1800-1900, but I wanted it gone. JMO

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pass on that plow for all the reasons Ducatti gave plus your truck will NEVER carry it. It came off a 1 ton and that was barely enough truck for that big and heavy of a plow.

9. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

That's really looks like a municipal plow. Your F150 cannot handle that plow. You should be looking for a 7'6" plow for that truck. If you buy only the blade your going to be looking to spend several hundred additional dollars to get it complete and make it work for your truck. Everything Ducati said is correct. Keep looking this is not the plow for you.

10. krklinegvr4

This is why I love the internet. You guys just saved me a **** load of money. Thank you guys very much. I appreciate it. I will keep hunting and move on to something else. I look forward to more help. Maybe one day I will be able to return the favor but for now, I am still learning so bear with me on this.

-K