1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newb w/ Speedcast creeping down

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nhxrunner, Nov 23, 2011.

1. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

Hello all, complete newb here. I just purchased my first home this spring and it comes with a very long driveway. Got quoted $1000 to have it plowed by a professional and decided I'd rather buy a yard truck and do it myself. Well came across an 89 F350 dump body and jumped on it. Came complete with what I believe to be a fully hydraulic 8' or 9' Speedcast (from looking at photos). So my issue is when I lift the blade all the way up it slowly creeps back down. This problem only gets worse as the truck warms, operation slows considerably (but still functions). None of the rams are leaking and fluid levels are stable, so my guess fluid is bypassing a valve of some sort somewhere. Please keep in mind I have no previous experience with a plow, so hopefully some of the forum vets can coach me through this. Hoping there is a quick fix.

PS: I know how much it sucks to deal with newbies on a forum, I own one myself for Toyota X-Runners, so please bear with me. Thanks in advance for any and all help! Thumbs Up

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like one of the solenoid valve coils is not activating properly the S1.Welcome to plowsite!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

Does this apply to a fully hydraulic and cable controlled system? If so you'll have to explain a little further or provide a diagram to refer to. Thanks Thumbs Up

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

full hydro with cables then its the control valve unit .

possible miss adjusted cable on that side of the valve holding fluid valve part way open.

or its the valve worn out.

here is a pic of the valve unit. and one installed . see the 2 purple cables . thay can be adjusted to let the valve go to nutral when joystick is let go. so if not adjusted it can hold the port partway open and blead off pressure. you wana adjust the cable with 1 hose inline of it out the top as this is the up/down. in my pic its the one closes to you .

valve unit.jpg

speedcaster hd 012.jpg

5. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

sweetk30, thanks for the pics, that looks identical to my setup. I'll try adjusting the up/down cable.

If that isn't the problem does that mean the valve is shot? Are there internal o-rings that can be replaced to solve the leak? If not what does a new valve unit cost and where can I buy it online the cheapest? Anyone have a part number? Sorry for the 20 questions but I really appreciate the help.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Do some searching about the valves- they're old tech for plows now. Likely can be rebuilt by any competent hydraulics shop tho.
    Very important with these old systems to use the carry chain between jobs- the weight of the plow being held on the hydraulics and bouncing over the road does a number on these valves. Had the same issue with my dump years ago.

7. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

who honestly uses the travel chain? i never do unless im driving teh truck long distance, and if this guy has a yard truck i honestly wouldnt be to concearned about it, hyd natural will slowly release preasure, save your self the money and let it be, its not gunna affect ur plowing of a single drive way cause the blades gunna be all the way down

8. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

You make a good point. I was honestly hoping it was going to be something simple. Sounds more like hundreds of dollars. No sense in spending that kind of money. Unless I can find the part really cheap, I'm gonna let it ride...

9. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

just let it creep the plow shouldnt be up unless u dont want it down and when its parked have the plow down, unless its dropping so fast that u need to keep up pressure on it all the time let it slide. keep ur eyes open for one. go to a junk yard and poke around ask on here who knows

10. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

when I had my 1987 chevy k20 silverado with an 8ft fisher speedcast on it I had the same problem. it would creep down all the time and I plow commercial lots so it would drive me nuts but I just dealt with it and it still plowed and functioned the same. The problem was i needed a new valve body and was worn out so when i was traveling around with it I would put the plastic lock on the joystick cause my joystick lever was worn out too and put the lock on so the blade would not creep down as much. Just saying it's not a big deal if your just plowing a driveway.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

it's not so much an issue plowing 1 driveway, or 1 commercial lot, but the travel time it's a pita. My dump had the issue and I was doing commercial and several resi- on the highway it was ok- just needed to bump it once and a while but on normal roads it was always needing to be tended to and stop lights/signs.....
    I've seen valve bodies under $200.

I know noone uses carry chains but that's why they were installed- to prevent wear from road travel to the hydraulics system and provide a safety so the blade wouldn't drop while traveling if they hydraulics failed.

12. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

The truck im in now yes i use the travel.chain but when plowing hell no.

13. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

How are you supposed to use the plow as an E-brake if you got it chained up!?! :mechanic:

14. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

every drop a plow on dry pavement at 50 and try to use it as it as a brake? unless u dig into a snow bank it dont work

15. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

No I haven't and don't plan on it! I can imagine all the road debris that would end up in the windshield, not to mention mess up a cutting edge!

16. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

Alrighty gents, THREAD REVIVAL. What else could cause this issue? I was hoping to just deal with it but it's a pain in the a$$ when I'm trying to stack snow after big storms. I've swapped the valve body, adjusted the controls, and swapped the lift piston.....there isn't much left to replace in these fully hydraulic systems. I can't see how it could be the pump. There's nothing else to replace, what gives?

17. MegaCabMike

MegaCabMike Junior Member

You could have a bad pump, no likely. Have you checked the fluid. Being that it gets worse as it warms up would make me think the fluid is bad and thinning out to much causeing it to loose pressure.

18. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

What's the "proper" fluid for it?...I could see that being the issue.

19. MegaCabMike

MegaCabMike Junior Member

I believe the old ones ran trans or power steering fluid. That's what a friend of mine ran. I would check to see what's in it if possible and flush and refill. You can run Fisher Fluid also I believe.

20. nhxrunner

nhxrunner Junior Member

I've got ATF in it at the moment