1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newb Needs Advice - '03 Chevy 3500 Dually

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by furstwinhall, Aug 29, 2011.

1. furstwinhall

furstwinhall Junior Member
    from vermont

Hi Folks,
    Brand new to the forum. I own a horse farm in Vermont and for years I have plowed us out with our tractor. This season I will now have access to one of our previous towing vehicles and will be able to use that to plow out our two long driveways, and two lots at the farm. I am getting the idea that a 3500 dually is really not the ideal plow truck, but it's what I got and I hope I can make it work.

Truck Details: 2003 Chevy 3500 Diesel Dually.

Here are my questions :dizzy:

1) Will this truck work as a plow truck? :)
    2) What do I need to do to the front end to "beef" it up? I have ordered the timbrens, do I need to do more? Green Keys? Longer suspension?
    3) How do I figure out what plow will fit/work with this truck? I have never had to figure this out before and any info. would help.
    4) I am hoping to find a used plow (V-Plow)... what should I look for/question when looking at a used plow?

Any other info. would be great, and thanks in advance for the help.

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Visit the website of any plow manufacture to see what plow will work with your truck.
    Since it is a dually don't go smaller then 8.5' blade.
    Is the truck a 4x4,diesel or gas , reg,SC or Crewcab.

3. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

The only downside to plowing with a dully is its size. For long driveways/roads and parking lots they are great. More truck = bigger plow = faster job. But their size sucks for small jobs like small developments.

Go to some of your local plow dealers. Most plows are close enough in performance and price that I would buy one based on how good the dealer is.