1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newb looking for any and all advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Andrew O, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Andrew O

Andrew O Junior Member
    from Alberta

Hi,

Just picked up a plow for my truck and am wanting to get into snow removal or at least pushing it for now. I have a 97 Dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9, engine replaced 2 years ago and has 25000km on it. Blade I picked up is a ProShovel, 7 ft, but I can't seem to find a manufacturer for it yet.

I know there's a lot of people saying don't do it with a 1500 truck, but it's what I have at my disposal, a new truck isn't in the budget yet and hopefully after the winter I can get a new one. It does have a lot of aftermarket stuff, beefy shocks, timbrens, but again this is all I have to work with.

I'll have a snowblower too, but based on this I'm trying to figure out what the best approach is to get some work!!

Also looking for a mount kit for the plow, really just the part that fits over the tow hooks, I have the rest.

Any help is appreciated and thanks for reading!

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Scrap whatever a ProShovel is and get a mainstream plow. That's where I'd start. If you can't find a manufacturer, how do you plan to replace parts at 2am when it breaks?

The part that fits over the tow hooks? I'd love to see a pic of this thing. Maybe it's something we here could be familiar with.......

3. Andrew O

Andrew O Junior Member
    from Alberta

$(KGrHqF,!o0FBfrucwYtBQZelbm9tQ~~48_20.JPG

This is the blade on the previous 1991 GMC 1500, I'm trying to upload an image of the parts I have, but it was secured to the chev at the tow hooks and he had no problem pushing snow for 2 years.

Getting a new blade will be tough, I'm on a budget and the blades that people have suggested are about $4000 and up, brand new, so I want to work with what I have until I cannot. Used I have had no luck in my area, Edmonton AB.

$(KGrHqF,!o0FBfrucwYtBQZelbm9tQ~~48_20.JPG

4. Andrew O

Andrew O Junior Member
    from Alberta

IMG_1579.jpg

These are the parts I have received, not sure how this is going to connect...

IMG_1579.jpg

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Looks like a Snowbear mount.

6. Andrew O

Andrew O Junior Member
    from Alberta

After some research, it is made by Snowbear, I'm searching Google, and youtube to get an idea of how to mount this to my truck, I'm thinking now after looking I have to remove the tow hooks and mount from there?? Any thoughts?

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You're going to have to find the correct mount or fab that one to fit. Two totally different trucks.

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

No they do not mount to the tow hooks, the mounts go directly on the frame.

9. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

.:popcorn:

10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Since you are operating with a 1500 series truck, don't push it too hard. Take your time. Try not to take on more work than you can handle. Good luck and post pictures of a 2500 series truck next year.

11. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

It is indeed a Snowbear. Go to Wal-Mart or Crappy Tire as they are both dealers and can get you the right mount for it. Don't expect too much from too little. That plow is not designed for commercial work at all. It will bend if you hit something hard enough.

12. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Like previously stated, dont push your truck too hard. YES, it is a truck but treat it lightly.

Try your local craigslist.org site to search for a blade or what you need.

Good luck! Thumbs Up