1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New york unemployment audit

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by RCSLINC, Aug 23, 2009.

1. RCSLINC

RCSLINC Junior Member

Has anybody been audited in new york on sub contractors for plowing and their ruling on trying to make them employees.

Thank you for your answers

2. EPS

EPS Member

Randy,

As far as I know theres nothing they can do about it as long as they have there own insurance and provide there own equipment to complete the job. If anyone knows different I would also like to know.

3. RCSLINC

RCSLINC Junior Member

Well they got me worried they are trying to make them as employees.
    Would like to know of a ruling in NY as contractors.
    This is in syracuse NY

4. EPS

EPS Member

The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if you, the person for whom the services are performed, have the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not the means and methods of accomplishing the result.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html

5. RCSLINC

RCSLINC Junior Member

Anybody else?

6. PGLC

PGLC Junior Member

EPS is right on track. If NY pushes this, get yourself a good tax attorney or CPA before saying or doing anything. Remember, the burden of proof is on you, not the government, to prove your position. There are grave consequences to you if the government takes the position that these guys are really your employees. The State will get you for withholding tax and income tax as will the IRS. If you have 1099's for these guys you will possibly keep the income tax adjustment from being made but you will get slammed with withholding tax for sure. As I said, if this is serious, get an attorney or CPA that is experienced in handling tax audits. Good luck!

7. RCSLINC

RCSLINC Junior Member

Audit is over.
    I did have a CPA,tax Lawyer and a labor atty. all involved.

Snow plow subs were ruled as such. But as a warning to all they are now looking at landscape and snowplowing businesses.

have all your paperwork handy and be careful on treating all the subs the same.
    this does not include the rate you pay as a few differences show they are independent.
    With all that was involved it still cost over 5000.00.

Randy