1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New York State Lemon Law, anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ODwyerPW, Jan 10, 2005.

1. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW Junior Member

Folks,
    Just curious. I purchased an 01 F550 PowerStroke Dump with a 9' Plow & 46k miles on Nov 30. It has completely broken down in 3 of the 4 Snow Storms we've had, resulting in loss of accounts. These are major break downs. I have all of 600 miles on it. They've taken it back, patched it a few times. The best was when instead of locating a short that caused engine shutdown, they placed a 25A fuse in the 10A socket, in hopes to out last a short without blowing the circuit! Yeah, that lasted until the next day. It broke this early Friday and again on Saturday (that's two seperate storms for us up here!). However, the 30 day warranty expired 11 days ago, so for this last breakdown the dealer is leaving me hanging. Everything from the Plow breaking twice, Bad Universal joints on the Front End, Major Shorts causing breakdowns, Total Loss of Engine Power, Dead Batteries, Dump that will not lift it's rated weight, etc.. It's broken down in the parking lot of one of my 'former' accounts now.

I want the truck bought back. It's a lemon. Anyone ever file the Lemon Law against a dealer?

Disregard. I've done my research. Only personal use vehicles are covered by the Lemon Law. The fact that it is registered to my corporation, is a Dump truck and is used for Plowing makes it a commercial use vehicle. So, I've got to go another route. Anyone had to do this?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  2. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

The New York State lemon law looks good on paper, but having had to invoke it myself I can tell you it's printed on toilet paper. Is the dealer making the repairs or is he subbing them out? You need to know who to refer to the state attorney generals office and the department of motor vehicles. Both these agencies helped me due to the fact the problems I experienced with a used truck were safety issues. For example installing a larger amperage fuse to solve an electrical problem is asking for say, a fire :yow!: And creates an unsafe environment for the operator. As for the dump operation not lifting it's rated weight, this could create another safety problem. When it comes to a safety issue they have to fix the thing the right way, or cover your costs of outside repair, weather it's personal or commercial use. Give em a try and good luck

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

in NJ i know the lemon law can happen during the original warranty.. i used kimmel and silverman in NJ. i don't know if they practice in ny, its worth finding out. they were great they got me over $8000 from ford, and ford had to so extensive work and finally fixed my expedition... didn't cost me a penny....

4. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I dont know about NY but in NJ lemon laws don't apply to trucks over 8600 lbs :(

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

in pa lemon law is only on new vehicles

john