1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Years Resolutions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowFakers, Sep 12, 2014.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Not actual New Years but this new season, what did you guys regret doing or NOT doing last year that you want to change? Let's hear it!

I know I wish I had spent more time last year advertising and getting more clients to fill my time.
  2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Didn't own a sander last year. My sub had issues getting materials, and also had equipment issues that led to my clients getting irritated. I was out in the ice storm with a spade and some sand/salt mix in the bed of my truck...in the dark...but my client was served, and they knew by my actions that I will do what is required to fulfill my obligations.

This year, I will have my own new sander, my own supplies of sand/salt, and my own 4x4 tractor to load it with. Not only will it assure my client is served well, it will retain money I used to give away.
  3. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

getting some per push sites to help pay things! seasonal killed us last winter.
  4. Buswell Forest

from NH

A few guys here insist that seasonals are the only way to go. They say suck it up, it will average out over 5 years. Small consolation to a guy like you who got bent over by seasonals last year.
  5. dodgegmc1213

And we always will do seasonal but when it snows I want something thats pays us per push also. No snow we are making money, snow we are still making money. Its win win in my eyes.
  6. Buswell Forest

from NH

I still don't see the logic. Have you ever seen a winter it didn't snow in NY? And if it didn't snow a lot, you got ice to deal with. Money is made either way.
    Seasonal is a big gamble. Per push is far less of a gamble.
  7. dodgegmc1213

Ok see it this way if you can.
    yes seasonal we are still getting paid but when it snows that money then goes out to labor, fuel and possable breakdowns. Now yes the seasonal bids are suppose to cover that stuff, but when it becomes a winter like last year, that seasonal money gets alil tight by February or March between the labor, fuel, business bills, and house bills. Especially since we dont do nothing in april or early may because its still early for our sealcoat season and we stop getting paid in march. So if we can make money during a storm by per push to help that out and make some profit with to cover us till our season begins and possibly still have profit left over. Ill take it. Now if it dont snow (which we always pray for) the seasonal will be awsome since all that labor and gas money is now profit, but if it does snow we got something to kind of balance it out I guess to put into terms.
    thats our view, thats our situation, everybody is different.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I regret not getting out of the business.... So now o am!
  9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That's what the company I work for does. I'll be doing the same this year
  10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

To try and be nice to birdseed.
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Haha. Resolutions are made to be broken!
  12. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Stockpile more salt, we had enough last year but we were conserving towards the end of the season.
  13. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I also hope to get better at deciding when to go out seeing as I only do 1 small lot and the rest driveways and even that is 2" trigger. I always have trouble planning it out so I don't make more trips than I have to in order to get the job done, and well at that. My guess is it just takes experience
  14. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I regret not advertising and being content with what I had. We had a very good winter last year and I wish I had a few more per push accounts.
  15. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Anybody else?
  16. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Blend your accounts, seasonal and hourly, the invoicing is a p.i.t.a but the cash is nice.

What I didn't do last year but will this year, sand bin, it sucks shovelling out your sander at 40 below.
  17. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

Concrete slab to store salt in winter and mulch/dirt in summer and talking to prop managers sooner. which reminds me, gotta start going on those..
  18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Dropped all my 4" trigger accounts, now have 1-2" triggers and tightened up my route.
    Find a shoveler that doesn't need to be micromanaged and doesn't use a shovel as a leaning perch.
  19. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I have an account with a lot of shoveling, I plan to break from that even if it means doing more driveways to make up for it.
  20. 97f250Heavyduty

97f250Heavyduty Senior Member

Not going out of my way to get closer to cars and buildings for people. Tried to do a guy a favor for a guy last year and got f'ed over