1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New XV- before I leave the dealership??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RacingZR, Dec 20, 2009.

1. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey all,
    After going back and forth between Boss and Fisher, I ended up ordering a 9.5' XV powdercoated. I just can't bring myself to get away from Fisher and the trip edge.
    I am wondering if anyone could throw some suggestions on things to check out before I leave the dealership with it? The plow is going on the truck Wednesday.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Obviously I will make sure all the functions of the plow work but am looking for any other suggestions based on peoples' experiences??
    Anything I should check after the first storm or two???
    Thanks. :salute:

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I used my ex v today Id never go back to a str8 blade.

3. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Just sitting here in sunny Colorado while you guys are getting hammered with snow.

Check and make sure the frame of your plow is bolted to the headgear at the proper hole location for the height of your vehicle. You need to put the proper ballast to measure how high the mount of your truck is off the ground. Then make the adjustment by moving the bolts up or down based on the measurement. This is in your manual. Also after this adjustment is correct, you need check and make sure that the cutting edge contacts the ground equally in all positions. You make this adjustment with the four bolts that connect the push frame to the plow (not sure on exact terminology). This is also covered in your manual. By making these adjustments and keeping them correct, you will ensure a more even cutting edge wear.

And don't leave your dealer without wings! You will be eleven foot four inches with them and they really help hold the snow!!

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Good info BK. I am sure I will have some reading to do over the holidays! We're actually missing the storm where I am in western Maine. Not even a flake in the mountains, which is rare but as you can see I am not complaining as I am without a plow until Wednesday :laughing:
    Fisher calls for 420 bs. ballast for my 3/4 ton and this plow. I'll have about 800 lbs in the rear as 400 wouldn't even move the springs :rolleyes: I will make sure to check that out and also mention to the garage installing the plow. Good stuff, exactly what I was looking for.

5. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i love my xv! be sure to post pics this week!!

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure your pin is the BM HT. It's stamped on the top. You'll have to pull the top center piece above the pin.

Make sure the bump stops are long enough so that the pump cover doesn't get hit when you lift the blade in vee.

Lift chain u-bolts. The factory supplies two nuts per u-bolt. You need four or they will come out. Also see if the lift chain is being hit by the trip spring bracket. Once again, lift the blade in vee and check where the chain is bolted to the t-frame.

As previously mentioned, you make sure the blade sits level in vee and scoop. This needs to be adjusted will ballast on, so load your truck before you leave to pick up the blade. At least 800 lbs, as far back in the bed as possible. Once you get the blade sitting flat, you need to keep checking those four bolts. They are cheap coarse thread bolts, with nylock nuts. They don't stay tight. I replaced mine with longer bolts, and double nutted them.

Check the trip edge bolts after plowing some.

Push plate bolts, make sure they used adequate backing where they bolted to the frame.

Hydraulic hose connections. Make sure the JIC fittings are tight, and the lock nuts on the SAE O-ring fittings are tight.

Check all the wiring, especially where it goes through the firewall, radiator support, etc. My dealer ran my control wires through the rad support with no protection.

They probably used scotch locks for the turn/park signals. They will eventually corrode and give you trouble.

I would go over the whole thing again after plowing once. Make sure all bolts are tight, including the push plates. Installers can make mistakes, expecially when they are jamming to get stuff done at this time of year.

Best of luck with the plow..........

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Great info, thanks for the post. I will definitely check out some of that stuff at the dealership. I'm all about changing out bolts and double nutting if that's what's needed and will look into that after I get it home.
    When you say push plate backing, you mean check for for lock washers??

8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Anyone got anything else? I know 2COR pretty well covered it! I talked to the service guy again today and can tell he doesn't know much, we'll find out what the tech knows......

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Lock washers, yes. Depending on the truck/frame, good installers will sometimes put a piece of 1/4 flat bar behind the frame to spread the stress over a bigger area.

10. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Well I got the plow on last Wednesday but haven't had the chance to use it. Looks like I will tomorrow though wesport
    I checked everything over yesterday. I am pretty happy with the install. The plow was set up correctly, sitting level.
    The wiring was neatly done although I didn't like how the ISO module was attached on the truck side so I changed that. All the connectors had a good coating of grease on them.
    Hydraulic hoses and connections were all good.
    Push plates were installed correctly according to Fisher. There are a couple bolts that I think should have lock washers so I will do that some time. I'll be keeping an eye on them for now. Wouldn't ya know, they did use a piece of plate steel for two bolts on each push plate so that was good.
    I agree on the 4 plow frame bolts.........those will be replaced this coming weekend and double nutted. Overall happy as long as the plow works like it should........

Will get some pics tonight prsport

11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

This is New England ,we don`t do wings.:)

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think that plow will survive with wings. I have the 8.5 XV. Brand new center pin this fall. The new BM HT pin and everything. Plowed two storms, one was three inches of powder. My center pin is already bent. The way they put that hinge together is absolutely ridiculous. Actually, embarrassing is a better word.

13. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

No wings for me. The 9.5' is the perfect width. Geez 2COR, that sucks! Is it warranteed or is it classified as "abuse"? I get a kick out of that.............plowing is abuse!

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gonna send an e-mail to the dealer. See what they say. The driver side wing they replaced a year ago is pretty sloppy too. It has two full seasons on it, so my warranty has technically expired.

Pretty grumpy right now.....

15. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't blame you one bit. Best of luck with it. Does the plow still function alright?

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

yeah I can plow. If it ever snows...I left the plow off tonight. maybe I'll wake up at midnight to four inches....

17. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Ya, looking like a mix for you guys:realmad: We have a couple inches, supposed to get 4-8" I guess. Is that bending when plowing in "v" or do you know??

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Temp is dropping, just turned over to snow. Everything is turning white fast. Set the alarm for midnight. We'll see what happens. I don't know what position is worse for it....

19. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Good luck, have fun