1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new XT falling apart

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by twgranger, Mar 6, 2008.

1. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

here are some photos :mad:
    thats a crack on right wing
    [​IMG]
    controller falling apart
    [​IMG]
    bent push frame
    [​IMG]

2. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

springs hitting pump housing
    [​IMG]
    hinge broke on left wing
    [​IMG]
    crack on left wing
    [​IMG]

3. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

i would have taken pics of the 2 springs that broke for each wing but they went flying in the air.

4. OakhillsSnowdiv

OakhillsSnowdiv Member
    from mass

thats quite similar to mine i was pissed when i heard mine snapped, i dont think i will buy another one

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

warrantee?
    that sucks.

6. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

7. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

had to pay for the springs witch was crazy, i can see if the plow was a year old or something then we wouldnt mind paying for the springs, sent boss the pics and waiting to see what they say. Waiting for the headlights to fall off next.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Return springs set up too tight will break prematurely, set them up as loose as possible and they'll last a few years - this is a part that should be expected to be replaced.......

As for the cracked wing, that happens when you hit things, especially with the end of the wing. Avoid hitting things..............

9. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

This is from plowing normal parking lots with regular size manhole covers and patches where the blacktopp has been patched. Didnt know the boss plow was so delicate..... Plowed with fisher blades and didnt see this much wear on them till bout 4 years of plowing.

10. payton

payton Senior Member

ya know that blade looks just like my old 8'2" after i tboned a car.. at 50 mph.. abuse is a *****.. espically with such an expenisve item..

11. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

OUCH...I'm walking away from this one...LOL prsport

12. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

after reading this post i went out and gave my xt a good inspection and so far so good except the springs do hit the pump house when all the way up but they have been like that since install. is there something i am missing? seriosly if all that happened to yours while doing normal parking lots with normal bumps and edges then i have been one lucky s.o.b. cause with the rough rocky lake drives i do it should have exploded by now. you dont let anyone else drive your rig do you? also i have the return springs set with the slide a peice of paper between the coils method. is this too tight? im not trying to sound like a smart ass, im seriously concerned.:(:

13. bribrius

go fisher.
    bet your next one is another fisher.

14. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

God, that looks like it's been used 24/7 for 5 winters! Thats showing wear really bad!! What the heck boss!!!!

15. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

yeah we got 6 other fisher V X blades that are on the second winter with no problems. The fisher trip edge is alot easier on the plow itself if you ask me than the full mouldboard trip.

16. bribrius

plowing is abuse. on both the plow and the truck. that is what it is. your taking a very heavy piece of steel and forcing it through thousands of lbs. of snow and ice with a vehicle. More than often things are around the snow, under the snow. or the snow becomes ice. Not all of us plow three inches of light fluffy snow from nice flat blacktop with no obstructions. i know i hit my share of things.

DEFINE ABUSE.
    I THINK THE ENTIRE ACT IS ABUSE AND THE EQUIPMENT SHOULD BE DESIGNED TO HANDLE IT (WITHIN REASON).

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing most of that damage is from one hit. you have to really crank something to break that bottom eye. I also suggest taking the wing off and welding it soon or your centre hinge will get wrecked. Maybe the new Boss's are lighter, I have one that is 10 years old and it' as good as a new one.

18. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

No all that damage is not from one hit. The push frame bent about 2 months ago and i just noticed the cracks and breaks today, same with the controller. Let me guess... the controller is falling apart too because of abuse :salute:

19. payton

payton Senior Member

the controler is ripped cause you dont life your finger you drag them across the buttons.. how do i know this it looks like my old controler i do the same damn thing.

20. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

XT's

My plow is 3 years old and I have hit a ton of stuff with no issues. Anyone else having all of these issues with the XT? I'd have to say mine is bullet proof been a good plow for me with nothing but minor things....that plow looks beat up compared to mine that is 3 years old...IMO. Hard to say if the guy who made it was drunk that day?:drinkup: