1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New xls

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by joepetrilli, Dec 21, 2011.

1. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

Know I'm Ready. Anyone know if I should put on cutting edge on now or wait to wear. Friend tends to think I should get it on now! Fisher is all new to me!

plow.JPG

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Looks awesome! I've always heard to run the base angle for a season or two then put an edge on. That way by the third season you are wearing just the new edge.

3. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

Thanks Fisher all new to me!

4. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

Looks good. Never owned a Fisher but I see alot of people with them. They must be pretty good.

5. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

looks nice!

6. CAPELAND

CAPELAND Junior Member

I also recently purchased a new XLS unit and can't wait to get going. Your truck will handle that plow nicely. I was also told by the dealer to wait on the blade install until it wore down
    Good luck

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I put my cutting edge on when I purchased the plow. It scrapes good and I have no issues. I have heard both ways so I guess it comes down to personal choice. The setup looks good and you will be very happy with the plow. Have a good season.

8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Looks Awesome......You will Love The Plow....Run it a season then put the cutting edge on.......:salute:

9. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

new plow

u'lll lov that xls,:drinkup: i lov my fisher's nothing but the best. We just need some snow now payup

10. bbct001

bbct001 Member

On the straight blades, I would wait on the cutting edge. On the XLS, put one on.

If you put an edge on the XLS, you'll wear it with the wing edges. If you wait, your going to be forced to replace the wings at the same time you install the center edge, even if they don't need it yet (otherwise the center edge will be much longer). Those wing edges cost more than the center edge. If you install the center edge now, the wings will last longer, and save you $$ in the long run.

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice XLS. I have all ways thought it was a good idea to put a cutting edge on when you buy the plow. But, some people go a year before they get a cutting edge.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Truck and plow looks great.

That is a cutting edge you have there. You are intended to use it and wear it down and then add another cutting edge. We ran an older Fisher Vee for 3 years without a cutting edge. Never had a problem.

13. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Hey fellas, I'm confused on this cutting edge situation? My Fisher 6'-9" has a cutting edge/trip edge on it. when it wears out you replace it. Is the XLS different? It looks like it has what I have a cutting/trip edge that you replace when its worn out? Are you supoosed to bolt on a separate cutting edge to the original?:confused:

Thanks?

PS Truck and Plow Look AWESOME!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, I'm confused on this cutting edge issue. How the heck can you run this plow with no cutting edge?

15. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

Ditto on that, I too just purchased a Extreme V, and looking at the pic of the XLS it looks to me that it has a cutting edge on it.... and unless I'm missing something my blade came with a cutting edge? I got a spare cutting edge and repair kit with ir also, how would you ever plow without a cutting edge, wouldn't you be plowing with the moldboard if u didn't have a cutting edge?

16. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

FWIW with the XLS I would put the edge on now. IMO by putting on the edge it will take longer to wear down the trip angle therefore it will help increase the life of the poly edges too. They aren't too cheap to replace. The extra edge will spread the weight out over a bigger area and will take longer to wear down subsequently extending the life of the poly edges.

Good luck with it I love mine.

17. Matson Snow

You are lucky if you get one season out of the Wing Edges.....The wing edges Cost around $160 shipped from Falline...The Center Cutting Edge is around $140-$150...
    I have owned Fisher plows since 1979...Never have put a cutting Edge on the First Year...Run it down to the wear bars then add the cutting edge

Fisher plows Do not come with a cutting edge due to the fact that the center trip is the cutting edge...You can add a cutting edge if you so desire thats why there are holes for an edge....I run them for a year or so than add the edge.....

18. WIPensFan

So the trip edge and the wing edges line up evenly even with no center cutting edge? The purpose of doing this is to get longer life out of the cutting edge when you do add it? Thanks for dealing with my stupidity on this.

19. Matson Snow

Correct...The trip edge and wings line up when new without the cutting edge....If you put the cutting edge on Now...It only hangs down below the trip edge a very little bit...Im not saying to not add the edge now....Its up to the Person who owns the plow....

20. WIPensFan

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm now more edjumacated than I was before.:salute: