1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New XJ, Needs more Electric Power

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by boeingxtreme, Nov 30, 2011.

1. boeingxtreme

boeingxtreme Junior Member

Hi guys!,

Just picked up an 88 Jeep Cherokee XJ. The guy only used it to plow his driveway and didnt know anything about why the blade was so slow. Well come to find out when i get it home and start tweaking, heres what happens. At idle you raise pump and its slow and all power and lights shut off, Try the same thing revved up at 2 grand and pump shoots up and total power. I guess I need 2 batteries, how do I go about doing this? Snows a coming fast here in Indiana!Thumbs Up

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could just need one GOOD battery and a pump service. Make sure to have the motors amp draw checked. Clean all the connections both ends power and ground.

3. boeingxtreme

I mean should it be able to work fine off of one battery? Like an optima or something?

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

It should work fine with one battery. The lights may dim a little, but that is it. If the motor is weak it could cause excessive draw, as it can if the filter is plugged.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They're OK but any high amp hour battery will do. Run a heavier wire from the alternator to the battery (there are a number of threads telling how to do it.) If you want to get really tricky your mechanic can install a slightly smaller pulley on your alternator to increase it's speed at low RPM though I doubt it is necessary unless you do a lot of plowing.

Changing fluid and cleaning the filters is always a good idea. Use a premium snowplow fluid.

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I was worried about my xj having problems last year, but I replaced the battery, cleaned connections and never had a charging problem even with the stock alternator.

7. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I had a similar issue with my XJ. I put in a new 850 CCA battery and the problem was solved.

Fran

8. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

yep, clean all connections and check motor/pump. If that doesn't help you could always upgrade your alternator, a third gen motorcraft can be had cheap at a pick & pull. Google third gen alternator upgrade, tons of info on the net about it. I did it on my old 79 F150 last winter and it worked great!
    good luck,
    dave :mechanic:

9. boeingxtreme

http://youtu.be/Z3_b4NE8r8I

Heres what its doing, sorry dont know how to post right into the thread, and that is my next step, I have 2 GAUGE cable someone gave me, i was going to run it to the plow solenoid with a side post hookup that way its not connected with the trucks main hookup and run a new one from alternator, I cleaned all the connections, just installed a new 800CCA Interstate Battery. Dont know what to do, its driving me nuts having my radio keep shutting off. I had the whole electrical tested at autozone and they said battery and alternator were fine so I installed new larger battery anyways and still keeps running low on volts.