1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New workbench in my garage

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MSS Mow, Nov 16, 2009.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Here are some photos of a workbench in my garage that I built. And if you knew my carpentry skills, you'd be VERY impressed. lol. I used some scraps from around the house for some of the bracing.

will have finished photos in the morning....

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Very Nice! You'll get much use out of that. One can't have too much bench space.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Lookin' good...i would do one more vertical support in the middle of the left leg of the bench though! Keep us updated with pics!!!
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Where is the tap going?

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

nice man, i built this bench this season, its 12 foot long
  6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Here are some more photos. work in progress..... Goldpro, stop hijacking my thread!:gunsfiring:

Just kidding. :D Your bench looks excellent!

7. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Nice bench. Garage looks new is it?
  8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

here's some final shots. All completed and ready to be cluttered up!

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks. Garage was built in June of last year, so just a little over a year old.
  10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Ah, look no further than the final pics. I was waiting til I put the plywood down so I would have one less brace to cut around. Lazy, yes. But since I am a terrible carpenter, the fewer cuts the better. :nod: The pics don't show the detail work. I have been called a "wood butcher" before by a carpenter friend of mine. But, I had the lumber left over from the garage being built and just had to pickup the plywood.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks nice. A peice of plywood at the back would make a great place to hang tools and other stuff.
  12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I dread the thought of cutting around all those outlets but you're 100% right, it would be great! Perhaps a project for another day right off.
  13. dchr

dchr Senior Member

I'm a carpenter and unfortunately I have had the "privledge" of repairing many houses that were built way worse than your bench:realmad:
    Very nice job-love all the outlets-never can have enough of those although they are a PITA to cut around.
    If you really want that bench top to last try adding some sheet steel to the top or some of that cheap 1/8" brown pressboard. It's nice and easy to clean and cheap enough to replace once it gets all banged up-unless your like my brother in law and you will never see the bench top again once you start putting stuff on it!:D
  14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

as a carpenter myself i must say it's a great bench.

However the way you pieced the left side horizontal members with only the supports going back to the wall is a recipe for failure. You MUST have good support under BOTH ends of a horizontal member to prevent the sag out you're going to see when gravity and time take over.

Your legs in the center of the left side look great, BUT they need to be under that joint which looks like it's at the 8' mark where you added a second 4' length of horizontal 2x4 right? The joint about 24" to the left of the leg. I assume you halved the 12' of bench and set legs at 6'....rookie...LOL

If you don't offer some support there the bench will start sagging badly from the far left side corner towards the support legs in a "V" shape with the point being right at the joint.

either move the legs over or just add 2 more but do something there. Next time seam the horizontals at the half way point and legs will be in center for a bench that lasts 20 years...

15. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

also.....peg board the walls behind it and just hold the bottom of the horizontally laid 4x8 sheets to the top of the outlets.....easy peasy..
  16. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

very nice bench. What are you putting for a top? I always find a double layer of 3/4 ply creates a very solid surface. It seems like overkill when your doing it, but it eliminates any bounce you get when hammering on the surface.
  17. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

"Rookie" is putting it politely. :D

I have ZERO experience/knowledge when it comes to carpentry. I will make the corrections to the supports hopefully tomorrow and post new pics. Thanks for the advice!!
  18. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks, but you can't see the up close "cuts" to the plywood. Let's just say its a good thing its only a garage, and not finish work for inside a house. :laughing:

When I had the garage wired last fall I specifically had extra outlets put in this corner with the intentions of a workbench here, especially the two under the top shelf of the bench. I also have 10 of the 8ft fluresent lights throughout the garage - tons of light!! Also put a couple outlets in the ceiling for the potential of drop cords etc in the future and outdoor outlets and lighting. All in all, it cost me more than 3 grand but was worth it.
  19. 2brothersyc

2brothersyc Member

looks like fun man
  20. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Can never have too many outlets. You have enough there that you probably ran a dedicated circuit back to the panel box.