1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New with a couple questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Hello everyone. This site is excellent first of all. I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 LS reg cab 4x4 with a 7.5 Meyer poly plow. It is the old Meyer where the light frame stays on the truck. I want to know what I should keep with me for this plow and what problems commonly occur with these. Also, does anyone know where to get fairly priced cutting edges? I am in the northeast Ohio area and want to know if there are any local places to get these. Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to plowsite Themos! :waving: If you've got a good sense of humor I think you'll like it here.As to what to carry for spare plow part's,here's some of the stuff I carry: extra fluid for the pump,a trip spring and the eye bolt for it,an extra angle hose, one pair of quick coupler's, a couple of spare mounting pin's (never know when you might lose one) and an extra under hood solenoid.I would consider these part's as just the basic's to keep the plow up and running when the parts store are closed. If your budget allow's, a complete spare pump can be a lifesaver too. That way you can either swap the whole pump on to the truck if your's goes down or swipe part's off it to get your primary pump up a running again.As to your cutting edge question;did you check prices at your local dealer if you have one? The mail order prices are usually a little cheaper but the shipping cost's are pretty expensive.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks very much. I do have a good sense of humor. I consider my self a redneck due to my ingenuity with duct tape and the fact I am from Alabama. I will defiantly look into getting these parts to keep on hand. I have asked a few local dealers, and they were telling me about $100 with new bolts. Is this alot or about the same anywhere else?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you fix stuff with duct tape then you gotta be a good guy in my book! :p $100.00 for the cutting edge with the bolt kit is a good buy if that's a current price since the cost of steel has risen so much. If you were to buy the stuff mail order you'd probably spend $120-$130 with shipping.

5. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Welcome Thermos, if you don't have a spare pump some tie wire and a come along are good to have to get the plow home with, I know this one from experience.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks yall. I have heard of the come-along trick. So 100 bucks for the cutting edge is a good deal. Sounds good to me. How long should you go before replacing the cutting edge? My is about 3-4 inches. The blade on my plow is not leaning correctly. It does not have the arc it used to have. Some one told me to take out the center sector bolt and drill it bigger and put a bigger bolt in? Has anyone done this and is there a better way to fix it?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your blade is leaning back to far then your pivot pin's and/or pivot pin tube's (the part that the blade pivot's on when it trip's) are probably worn out. The pivot bolt is the bolt at the front of the A frame that the blade pivot's on when you angle it,if it's worn it wont make the blade lean back but it will put slop in the plow.The pin's and tube's are a real sore spot on these Meyer plows when they don't get the occasional greasing.I'd pull the pin's out and see what they look like.If it look's like most of the wear is on the pin then you might be able to just replace the pin and not the tube's too.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks, i will have a look. Maybe if I tear it apart, it will snow, lol

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can bet on it!! LOL! :D

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

That will be tomorrow's project:D

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You know how to use duct tape? Then you don't need anything else. :drinkup:

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

duct tape, zip ties, and a hammer. I always say, if it dont work, get a bigger hammer