1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new wiring questions/problems pro plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by schnell, Oct 31, 2012.

1. schnell

schnell Junior Member
    from alaska

Had my old 3 plug Pro Plus wired up for my new truck. Been having electric problems since then. After the first time I plugged the plow in the indicator for my bright lights stuck on. Lights turn from high to low beam but the bright indicator will not shut off. I pulled the connection off my headlights, plugged it back in, and it went back to normal. Today i plugged the plow back in and the light is stuck on again. My volts were bouncing around the other day (plow off) and RPM's and idle (2002 cummins) were bouncing between 800-850 which I don't remember before having wiring installed. Any ideas? Also very loud click from solenoid with dimming of head and cab lights. Worried something is wired incorrectly. Bad ground?

Please throw some suggestions out. I'm not too savvy with wiring.

Thanks

2. JTPlowDog

JTPlowDog Junior Member
    from N/A

Is this on a Dodge?

3. JTPlowDog

JTPlowDog Junior Member
    from N/A

Nevermind...I see it's a Cummins. Dodge either have HB-5 or HB-1 headlights. Western's lighting harness comes pre-wired for HB-5. If you truck has HB-1 headlights, the low and common on the harness will need to be re-pinned, then plugged in the correct side of the plug. In this case, it will be the HB1 side. The high beam indicator on all the time is a result of the plug not being re-pinned or not plugged into the HB-1 side.

4. JTPlowDog

JTPlowDog Junior Member
    from N/A

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Did you just switch the plow from one vehicle to another yourself or did you actually have it done by a qualified Western technicion? Does it have an isolation module or relays? The clicking from the motor relay is normal but the lights going dim is unusual. This would be caused by one of two problems... either your motor is drawing too much current and pulling the voltage down or you have a bad connection on one of your main battery connections / cables and there is a voltage drop because the motor current is being restricted. Kind of like stepping on a garden hose, if the sprinkler is running and water is flowing the water pressure to the sprinkler is reduced by the restriction. If the end of the hose is plugged and you step on the hose there is no change in pressure at the end because there is not flow. Your battery connections behave the same. The plow motor draws a lot of current so if there is a restriction (bad connection) the voltage on the outside of the restriction will be low. This is what you see when your lights go dim. Clean your battery terminals, that will probably take care of that. The high beam indicator is another question. Plowdog has a good hypothisis with the headlight plug configuration. If that doesn't fix it then give us some more details about the plow and we can better help. Like is it a uni or ultra mount? Does it have relays for the headlights or an isolation module and if it is iso module then is it three or four port (plugs going in & out of the module)?