1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Wings - Is there a break-in period????

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by millsaps118, Nov 25, 2010.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Bought a new 8'2" with the wing kit this year. I put the wings on for the first time last night to plow and it makes the whole plow skip off the ground, couldn't go 2' with them on. I'm thinking the rubber cutting edge on the wings need to be wore down a bit. Anyone else have this issue? What's the fastest and easiest way to get these things broke-in so I can plow with them?

2. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not much help with this but, got any pic's of the new dump set-up?

3. millsaps118

Not yet, but will post soon. Been crazy busy....., was landscaping on the 11th, wired and installed the v-box and TIR3's on the 12th, then got slammed with 8" of wet slop on the 13th. Been out sanding and salting like crazy since so I haven't had time to take any pics.

4. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Should take a couple of storms to wear in. The skipping will drive you nuts! But once they're wore in, you won't know how you plowed without them.

5. millsaps118

What do I have to do to make it not skip? The only position that works without it skipping is in scoop.

6. steve_robert

steve_robert Junior Member

loosen the bolts for the rubber and try to slide them up a bit so that they are barely touching the ground

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

shave the rubber like a used cutting edge

8. allcraftsmen

allcraftsmen Junior Member

Mine will still Chatter when there is alot of friction like the wet slop we both had to plow here. If they chatter I will stop, start slow and just scoop them ahead a little. Once you get some snow in the blade it stops. I'm sure it will never go away completely but, it does get better. Just make sure the blade is adjusted correctly in the full scoop position (don't plow that way with wings unless you have to). I did that and it helped when the wings were new. How do you like them? If I had to plow with out them I would quit plowing, seriously. All of my stuff is monthly and I do it all with in house equipment and drivers.

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If your rubber on the wings is longer than the steel on your cutting edge you are going to have trouble until they're both even. I had to take a sawzall to my rubber edges after I replaced them because of the same problem you're having.

Make sure you use a course toothed blade otherwise the rubber will gum up due to the heat and you won't get anywhere.

10. millsaps118

OK...thanks guys. I was out today cleaning up some roads I do and threw them back on. I was able to move them up a little and it helped. Once I put on about 5mi it got way better. Other then that I love them, I have the same set up on my other 8'2" but with Pro Wings, I won't run another blade without wings!

11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I too had to take a sawzall to mine, twice now. Because I still run the curb guards, I had o first notch the rubber to fit the guard. It seems that the cutting blade wears more than the rubber. I will not cut the rubber again because they are too expensive. Also, since I cut twice, I now have the room to push them up. good luck

12. bluefishbob

bluefishbob Junior Member
    from erie pa

Chatter u right out of your seat. Had to cut mine, both sets. Used a table saw and cut 1/4 inch off the bottom. after that they seem to wear with the cutting edge.
    :mechanic:

13. CB Snow Plow

CB Snow Plow Junior Member

I am considering put some wings on my Boss V 7'6", sound like everyone likes them. I was concerned about back blading garage doors with wings on. Do wings pull snow very well. The guy who puts them on around here charges $100 / side using rubber edges, is that to much?

14. allcraftsmen

allcraftsmen Junior Member

Unless your plow is new enough and is pre-drilled for the wings that sounds fair to me. Two of my plows were not pre-driled and one was. Not a lot of fun. Make sure you have good quality drill bits.

15. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

How long does it take to take the wings on and off?

16. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

10 seconds, no tools!

17. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Sounds like too much time with the plow in the air and not on the ground.:waving: