1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new wideout hydro leak

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ricothunder, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ricothunder

ricothunder Member
    from ontario

i have a new wide out 20 hours on it now and my lift ram and my 2 side rams are all leaking form the seals.. not bad but i can notice hydro fluid all over. i brought it to the dealer to show them and they are going to try and get me all new rams or rebuild them.... any one else see this

2. ricothunder

ricothunder Member
    from ontario

any thoughts people

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i assume they are leaking from the gland nut were the rod moves in and out? try to tighten the nut with a big crescent wrench.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

My thought is.....Take it Back to the Dealer and have them Fix it......Thumbs Up

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sometimes they weep a bit when they are new and it goes away after it breaks in. I have also replaced the ram seals on new plows. That is much cheaper and faster than waiting for new rams if they don't have stock. If it is leaking at the fitting then pull them out of the rams and check the O rings. These fittings are called ORB (O ring boss) If the fitting is turned when the O ring is jammed it can do dammage. That is a real easy fix.

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Tell the dealer you want new ones. For what we pay for these plows they should work correctly and if a part is defective right from the beginning then I want a new part to replace it.

7. no lead

the dealer will fix the plow under warranty no doubt. for now i would try and tighten the gland nut and get my plowing done. oil isn't free here in michigan unless you live on the kalamazoo river below marshall.

8. ricothunder

ricothunder Member
    from ontario

tryed to tighten the big nut didnt work the dealer told me they will give me new ones... did runing like this hurt the plow pump could moisture get in should i be worried

9. mishnick

Don't worry about moisture getting in unless you are plowing under water... It's the fluid pressure that forces the oil out. The differencial in pressure from the oustide in is insignificant. Just keep plowing and keep the pressure on your dealer to get it fixed.

10. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I would have the dealer pay for my loss..
    No lead, If you know anyone selling free oile, send them my way.:drinkup:

11. no lead

come to battle creek michigan. enbridge energy spilled 800,000+ gallons on my 100 acres. free oil for all.

12. Pitt4212

Pitt4212 Junior Member

What brand and model is the plow?

13. mishnick

If your dealer is a good one they would throw in a litre of free plow oil, I know my manger would. They make a pretty good commission off a plow sale, especially if we install it too. The good will generated by such a gesture comes back when customers tell their buddies that they got treated well. Bad carma, on the other hand, can cost more than you can imagine in lost sales. Don't be afraid to ask them, the worst they can do is say no.

If it leaked more than that over these few days then you shouldn't be running it. Unfortunately they call that sort of thing a secondary loss so they are not obligated to refund the loss. That's like asking them to pay for the money you didn't earn when you couldn't plow. Not going to happen.