1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New - Which Plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by CCM, Oct 30, 2008.

1. CCM

CCM Junior Member
    from MA

Hey, great site... just found it and have been reading. You guys know your SH-T! Yea so I'm new with 100% residential w/ potential comm. I'm looking to set up my F 250 SD V-10 Crew with a Fisher. XBlade, VPlow or XLS? I need a good cutting blade for back dragging. What are your thoughts on the stainless? I like the look, durablity and no rust etc. Can I add wings in the future if not and XLS? The XLS sounds great but I heard the wing design is weak and can jam? Also Fisher Engineering said to stay away from stacking and packing with the wings out or in scoop. I'd be sold b/c common sense says you can push more snow w/ the same plow!
    Which plow? Lights - is it worth the 6-800.00 for Hide Aways? Any thoughts on tires?
    Thanks guys

2. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Check out Green Diamond Tires on their site. I took the leap and I'm running their Icelander tires. Very happy with them so far!

3. CCM

CCM Junior Member
    from MA

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. How do you like th VPlow - the versatility is awesome... but not sure what to buy

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Where are you buying hideaways for 600-800 bucks??? you could get 3-4 90watt kits for that kind of money!!

And i think you would be very happy with the stainless XtremeV! =]

WELCOME TO PLOWSITE!!!!

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

made less than 5min from my house . those who use them love them.

6. CCM

CCM Junior Member
    from MA

MCW thanks for the info and the Welcome. I'm all over the Xtreme V. Theres been allot of talk about the XBlade too.
    The Hide Aways - 3-350 for the kit the balance of 600-800 is labor. I ran into a guy who says I can pick up strobes for 100.00 online and install myself. Any furhter thoughts

7. CCM

CCM Junior Member
    from MA

Anyone confirm that the new Xtreme V is more durable than the original. I've heard horror stories about it bustn in mid-storm plowin. Hows the XV compare to the XBlade

8. Rich R

Rich R Junior Member

My brother has the stainless V and says he wont by any else in the future he loves it I jkust got my XLS I'll let you know how it does

9. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I went through this same research process this summer. Looked at Fisher, Boss, Snoway, Western. I decided on the 8'6" extreme stainless. I do 95% residential driveways in higher end neighborhoods. Fairly large driveways. Now I have never pushed a flake with the plow but everyone I spoke with raved about it. I decided on stainless because of looks, no rusting, and I have heard from my colleagues that the snow does not stick to it. We'll see. I can say that the hydraulics are crazy fast. It will take a little while to get used to coming from the old MMI I used to have but damn, I can't wait for it to snow. Lastly, I don't know why but I keep thinking that a trip edge is better that a full trip on a V. Again, I really don't know why I think this.

10. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Fisher has taken care of this problem with a newly designed center pivot pin for the extremeV, they also warranted a bunch of them that had failed.

You had talked about adding wings to a plow, bolt on wings are infact available to for the extremeV.

In my opinion this would be your best bet if you are worried about the XLS, the wings on the V would make an 8.5 plow really a 9-9.5 plow when straight, plus you still get the huge advantage of the V and scoop modes. I would say this is you're best bet and my recommendation.

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Stick to a straight X Blade for residential work. By the time you move a V Plow around, and extend or retract a XLS, you could be done with the job with a straight blade, if you know how to use it. Contact Brian from Ipswich for the ultimate plow purchase.

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

www.strobesnmore.com you can get that 90watt whelen kit w/ 4 clear bulbs and 4 15ft cables for around 200 bucks...add in another 10 for two switches and maybe another 20 bucks for other wiring odds and ends and you should be all set to do it yourself for a grand total of around $230!!! They are fairly simple to install too! I dont know how your truck is configured so you may have to exchange two 20ft cables in for two of your 15 footers to reach the rear of the truck bed....that's an option on the website! So in all reality, certainly under 300 bucks for a hideaway kit for your truck installed by you so then you know where everything is, and how it works which is always nice when something goes wrong!

-mike-

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

CCM: Strobes arent worth it. LEDs are a much better option, and half the cost considering install and etc. They are all mostly "Plug and Play" Around this town. Matt from BlueLine is the Sherriff. He will handle all your lighting needs, advice, install, and troubleshooting. LEDs are the way to go though, forget hideaways. They are useless in the front becuase the plow blocks them, and they reflect off the plow.

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

As for tires: BFG Radial All Terrain TA KO, if you want some serious bite, and pushing ability.

15. CCM

CCM Junior Member
    from MA

Thanks Guys - you read my mind. You know they say go with your first instinct - gut Xtreme V. Yea I like the stainless too. LEDS - ok I'll check into it. Tires - thought so. Snows around the corner in MA
    Till the next time
    CCM
    Ride Safe! Esp on 2 Wheels!