1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEW whelen TIR3's :-)

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by mcwlandscaping, Oct 11, 2008.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I put four tir3's in my grille and will be putting one on each side tomorrow under my toolbox on my backrack....the fronts are done but will save the final pics/movie for tomorrow when everything is complete! But for now, i'll post up the progress pics of how i went about doing things!

I got these lights from dissasociative, AWESOME guy to deal with all through the process!!!

These first four pics are from late last night around midnight, just couldn't go to sleep so i went and took the grille off most of the way for the install this morning!

new lights 033.JPG

new lights 034.JPG

new lights 035.JPG

new lights 036.JPG
  2. mcwlandscaping

the first pic shows sorta what i'm putting in..... i have four syncable TIR3's that are going in the grille and then the last two are non syncable and those are going under my toolbox on the side of my truck, since they will be on opposite sides, i wasn't too worried about that they will not be synced.

the next pic shows the grille laying in front of the truck, it wasn't worth undoing some other wires to completely take it off but there was no way of doing what i did with it still on the truck, i wouldn't have had the patience to do it! This worked out very well

The last couple pics show everything being wired up....i could have sworn i took pics of everything bundled up in the end before the grille went back on but i guess not. I wrapped all wires in the plastic wire tubing stuff and taped it up and mostly out of site. Since i put my LED's in the middle holes in the grille a little bit showed up but nothing much at all. I liked the look of where they are over the other spots so i can deal with what little you may be able to see.

edit: i should also add that these lights fit PERFECTLY in the gaps in my grille without the black shields on, it was almost like they were made for it, i actually siliconed them in the back in place to hold them in so that there would be no holes drilled in plastic grille...so far so good :)

new lights 038.JPG

new lights 039.JPG

new lights 040.JPG

new lights 041.JPG

new lights 042.JPG
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

looks good so far.. mine are going in tomorrow either on the side of the back rack or in the grille
  4. mcwlandscaping

The first pic shows my dash pulled out a little bit with my feed wires coming out

The next pic shows where i'll be putting the switches, i loved how i could just take out the panel! I was going to build a custom switch box but in the end decided it wasn't worth it...i liked the turnout.

The final pic for now shows the two switches in the panel in the dash, i'm VERY happy with them. There is enough room in that panel for two more switches if i so choose to add some later on.

That's all the pics for now, i don't want to show final results till i have the last two lights put it, all i can say is i am VERY VERY happy with the way these things light up, very bright for sure!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

new lights 043.JPG

new lights 044.JPG

new lights 045.JPG
  5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Thats where I've mounted a couple switches for things on a truck or two, It's a nice spot, not to be an ass or anything, but next time go with some rocker switches looks nicer then old steel toggles, unless your a big fan of them. I'm clearly not.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Lookin' good.

I got 2 plastic toggels with small lights in the end. Green for the work lights and Amber for the lighbar. Didn't have to drill a big hold for a rocker switch and they look a bit fancier then the normal steel switches. I wish I mounted my 2 switches where yours is. I put my two down on the other two pup-out pannels below where yours are. Its a nice spot but the shift lever is in the way to reach them quickly.
  7. stillen

stillen Senior Member

don't close your cell phone in the hood.... :)
  8. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

why didnt you run them off your whelen switch box
  9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

ahh wires :D nice progress, cant wait to see them flashing!
  10. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

looks good....make sure you weatherproof those grill connections..
  11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Omg why not use a soldering iron and some heat shrink. Those crimp connectors will be green and coroded before long.
  12. ColliganLands

thats how i do it with solder/shrink just never think to take pictures of my wires
  13. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

always thought of putting them on atleast my truck maybe some of the other ones....looking forward to that video
  14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

It is a shame to go through all that work and use vinyl crimp connectors.Mite of well used wire nuts. The crimp and shrink connectors are ok. But best is to use solder and heat shrink with the sealant inside.
  15. ColliganLands

yup MOPAR shrink wraps lol with the glue inside - weather proof soldered connections

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Well atleast someone noticed it. I never even seen it sittin there. Hope he found it.
  17. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Looks good, can't wait to see the final product
  18. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

cmon MCW, its night time...lets see the vids & pics
  19. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

^^^^^^^^^^What He Said ^^^^^^^^^^
  20. ColliganLands

agreed. id post some of mine but i dont think the neighbors would approve LOL