1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New whelen responder vs. used edge.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by WilliamOak, Dec 11, 2008.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

So heres the situation. I have a ecco dual rotator that I got a great deal on. I havent put it on the truck yet and have decided instead to either go for a new responder or a used edge. The advantages that I see towards the responder is it comes with a warranty and is smaller. Advantage to the edge is I can find one for about 1/2 the price of a new responder but there's no warranty. I dont hear of problems with either one, and from waht I hear; you can't go wrong with whelen. So I want to hear from you guys what you would do and why?

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Go with the Responder. I really don't care for the Edge on a truck. Keep the Ecco for a spare for those just incase deals.

One problem that I have seen with the Edge bars is the internal strobe pack does have a minor tendency to over heat BUT if you need a replacement section you can get them pretty cheap if you know who/where to talk to.

3. WilliamOak

I actually like the look of the edge. If I had the cash I'd go with a 48" full size liberty like colligan has lol. I have 2 tir6's and 2 tir3's that are gonna be mounted on the truck so I'll still have those if somehting goes wrong with whatever bar ands up there.

4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

colin iv seen these before and I personally like the look of them better than the more bulky whelen. They have better off-axis warning as well. Price is about the same. Cant go wronge with either though. The edges are nice but go for the LED.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I like the edge but im a little biased, LOL

6. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

whelen responder linear

7. WilliamOak

lol your bar is the reason I'm back on a used edge.
    ^yours just has the 4 corner strobes right?

Yeah buy WHY? What reasons do you have behind that statement? Is it opinion? Do you have one? Sorry just trying to clear the air.

I guess this is a better way to word my question:
    Are there any true disadvantages of the used edge vs. the responder?
    I think for the $$ a used edge is perfect, and the one I saw was bright as h*ll. (doug)

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yep 4 corner strobes