1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Western Ultramount, BAD start

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by porabjr, Jul 25, 2015.

1. porabjr

porabjr Member

Picked up a an 07 Chevy 2500 HD w/ an ultramount in bed when I purchased it. Former owner claimed all worked when he used it at end of last winter. Hooked up plow today and bad start. Fishstik lit up and clicking at solenoid, but no movement at low. Banged solenoid couple time and jiggled power cable and plow worked for few but back to clicking. Dropped plow and disconnected. Lights on plow never came on and now truck lights are out (they were working before for sure). No DRL, headlights, parking lights or marker lights. WTF, where should I start? BTW 3 plug set up w/ iso mod.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Battery cables cleaned and tighten?

How do the pins look?

Replace solenoid, start off fresh.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

X2...........

4. porabjr

porabjr Member

Thanks fellas, problem solved. Was a broken wire at solenoid. Repaired it and dielectric grease and good to go. The light problem was a loose connection at dash switch. So plow and lights now working. My only other question is the lift height. Compared to my Fisher, the Western is lame to say the least. Chains are fine, but in the highest position and angled i am dragging blade on uneven roads. Looks like frame height can be adjusted if I am not mistaken, but than I am worried about mounting issues. I know Chevy front ends don't have the ground clearance of Ford. Any suggestions.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Adjust you chains one or two links higher then

6. porabjr

porabjr Member

chains are good. they are lifting to the maximum height. lift arm is actually making contact with the frame. Is there another adjustment that can be made?

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

How low does the front end sit, running any balast? May have to crank up the T bars a little.

8. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ussmileyflag i got 2007 hd ,had western wide out put on it .1000 lb plow. i dont have no problems, but i always have skid salt in back .i dont drive with it angled all the way and keep wings in when driveing.their is 3 places on push beam to ajust.mine is in middle .i do thing taller tire would help and i did have 2 inch leveling kit installed on front before plow was installed .you should call factory and find out how much balest you need .

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  9. porabjr

porabjr Member

I think Chevy front ends sit low. Without the plow, the push plates are pretty low to the ground. Prior owner had 3500 leaf springs installed in back so that is not helping either. It is set up on the lowest hole on the push beam, what kind of a job is it to move it to the middle hole and will that make much of a difference? Thanks for all the help. I can tell you, the Western is a hell of a lot easier to mount than the Fisher...