1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Western plow doesn't work...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by paynter2, Dec 19, 2008.

1. paynter2

paynter2 Member

I bought a brand new Suburanite plow in November. I brought it home on November 10th. I dropped in on my garage floor and forgot about it. Last weekend (12/13&14, we were due for a major snow storm (18-20'). I went to the garage, hooked up the plow and it won't raise or turn either direction. There's good pressure in the pump - which ever direction I try to go, the plow jerks right and then returns to it's original position.

The dealer isn't open Saturdays, so I left a message. He called Monday (12/15) and asked me to bring it in. But, I have to return to work in the city (200 miles) that day - so I can't leave the rig. He asks if I can take my car? It's buried under 1.5 feet of snow and it's 100 feet from the plowed road - I'm too old to shovel that much.

Today (12/19) - I called to see about getting it fixed next Monday. I can drive it in and wait for them - I'm 30 miles from town so I have to wait for repairs. They're too busy next Monday (12/22). But, they can look at it on 12/29.

The owner seems like a really good guy - very knowledgeable too. He is a pretty big dealer I think. I saw about 100 moldboards in his warehouse. It isn't his fault the plow doesn't work. It, obviously, had a problem from the factory. This plow has not been used.

So, I have 1.5 feet of snow and another 6-10 inches expected this weekend.

I'm really disappointed with Western. We'll see how this all turns out. I'd like them to extend the warranty to one year from the time the plow begins to function. I'll ask Western about this - if I can find a phone number for Customer Service. the fact that they don't have a phone number on their web site makes me nervous. I emailed them last week and they still have not responded. This is not a good sign from a company.
  2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Did you install the plow or did the dealer? It should have been tested when installed either way.
  3. paynter2

paynter2 Member

The dealer mounted it. I mounted an old Meyer's that I used to have - but there were no warranty issues. The new Western unit worked fine when I picked it up and when I dropped it off (in my garage). A month later, it didn't work - it acts like a valve (cartridge?) is frozen.

Maybe moisture got into the system - that should not happen to a new system. The seals should be good enough to keep moisture out. I hate to think that condensation can cause the unit to fail...

Anyway, I'm not going to mess with it - I don't want any warranty issues. If I have to wait two weeks plus for service, so be it. I can hire the plowing done until this gets sorted out. I'm just posting the story as it occurs. I thought it might be of interest.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  4. paynter2

paynter2 Member

Well - I'm taking the plow back to the dealer tomorrow. The hydraulics don't work and there's no chain to 'hike' up the plow with for transport. I asked the dealer and he said he thought it would be alright to chain it to the light bar. It's a 30 mile trip - I hope the light bar holds up.

I actually like the dealer. He's very busy at this time of year - as are all snowplow dealers. The plow is new - I blame the manufacturer for the problems. The dealer just installed it.I\

He'll have his chance to fix it tomorrow. I'll have to wait for it - like I said... It's 30 miles each way. For someone to pick me up and return me is 120 miles of driving for them. Besides, there's nobody to drive me anyway - they all went south for the winter.

I'll give the dealer tomorrow to fix it. If he can't or has to order parts, I'm going to tell him to just hook up a new plow to my truck. The current one is already half way through its warranty and doesn't know what a snow flake is!
  5. paynter2

paynter2 Member

Took the plow to the dealer this morning. He put it in his service area and they worked on it for about an hour. He came back and said they couldn't find anything wrong.

As I stated above, I hooked it up twice and each time it jerked right and returned to it previous position (regardless of the direction I chose on the joy-stick). I still think there was a frozen valve that thawed in his garage. Why else would it not work for me - there's only one way to connect the cables... Go figure.

To his (dealer's) credit - he was concerned that there is something that they are missing too.

But, I brought it home and plowed myself out and it worked just fine. It doesn't have a lot of strength to hold an angle against an old, frozen, snow pile. But then it's not a heavy duty plow. It worked just fine for my use. I sure hope it continues to do so.

While I was disappointed to not have it through 30" of snowfall, I'm glad I didn't start ragging the dealer. He's a good guy and I owed him a chance to make it right. I've never gotten very far ragging on people anyway.

Well - I said I'd post the outcome. I waited until tonight to do so as more people are on the site in the evening.

Got the truck stuck tighter than hell - plowing old piles left by the guy I hired to plow while I was down. I had to plow on a little side hill - but when backing, the truck wanted to slide down the grade. I buried the truck with the plow hung up. I shoveled out the plow and engaged the locker - the trucked walked right out. 4x4 didn't move it, but the locker made the difference. I've never had a locker on a truck before. I have one on my ATV, but I'll never buy another truck without one.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008