1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Western MVP known problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I put my plow on to move it and notced the left wing was slower then the right and made noise...
    Welps, I took it back into the Western dealer, after 2hrs of messing w/ it thay finnaly called Western, who told them to open up the pump and check for a loose or falen off hose/filter.
    So thay did and the hose was off so thay stuck it back on and filled it back up. tried it out, it worked 1/2 way then started again.
    Confused thay called back, Western then decided to imform them the hose clamps occasionaly are defective and thay sould all be replaced w/ normal .14 cent ones. So thay took pump apart, put it back on using normal clamps this time. and amazinly problem solved.

So anyone with the same problem, thats the cause.
    If you have to take the pump apart make sure ya change them.

Took about 4 hrs labor and .14 cents in parts to fix the problem.
    Its a 2001 so it was under warranty.
    Thay would have just swaped it but thay are outta stock (sold out) on V's and Western isnt shipping to them till dec 3rd.

All the other mechanics (Chevy Dealer also) tried to help w/ no luck. When it was all over everyone started laughing how it took 4hrs to change a frigging hose clamp.

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you for posting this. The guy I plow with just bought a new truck, and is awaiting the installation of his new V-plow. I will make sure and mention this to him. Thanks again!

Tim

3. Finecut

Finecut Junior Member

I posted in regard to this problem last December and this fall, the post from this fall disappeared with the server change.

Slim Jim, if Adams is doing the install they are aware of the problem.

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I just hope he doesn't get the same installer I had... uuggghhh...

5. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

what hose clamps are you talkin about? are they inside the pump itself or do they connect a hose to the pump or what. i have a 2001 v plow and would shur like alittle more info.
    thanks.
    dan

6. Finecut

Finecut Junior Member

DYNA PLOW,

Yes, they are inside the pump, it has a filter attached to the end of the hose. If my memory serves me correctly it is on the right hand side of the pump. This doesn't happen to all of them. The cure is a regular screw tightened hose clamp. If you take it back to your dealer they should have a service bulletin describing the problem and the cure, Western was aware of the problem as early as last December.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You will find with plowing that often the cause of many problems are cheap to fix but take a long time to find.

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Apparently my dealer never recieved that bulletin. I was the first one thay had with this problem. Thay dont sell many V's for some odd reason (located in the hills/mountians so ya think V's would sell better but thats another topic).

Yeah, the clamps, are in the pump assembly, inside the the fill/check cap side/piece. Thay attach a small (2-3" long hose) to the fluid filter and the pump itself.

It also casued the fluid to come out the cap when retracting the plow.

The problem dosnt happen with all plows, but thay would prolly fail in time.
    When you change/drain your fluid just take the 4 screws out that hold it on, open it up and change the clamps. Extremely simple fix, when you know the problem and it's a good precaution measure.
    If your having the plow installed I would suggest it to your dealer at least make them aware of the problem.

After watching the guy drain/fill the pump so many times, I sould have no problem with fluid changes :rolleyes:.

Ya think Western knowing its a problem would take measures to include diffrent clamps when shiped out. The ones on it are really poorly made.

9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I posted a similar problem with a Fisher EZ-V the little tubes attach with little round spring clamps, I just put mine back on and made sure the clamp was seated well up on the tube, I,m gonna take my pump apart this weekend to clean the filter, I guess I should change the clamps.

Bill

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Fisher/Western same thing.

Yeah takes 2mins to do and can save you endless Hrs. diagnosis time. One of the cheepest fixes there could possibly be.

When thay origionally took it apart thay thought it was just insalled on the wrong side of the flair. But nope.

11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict