1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New VX96 on Dodge. I can't get it to lift more than an inch off the ground.

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Loni1113, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

So i bought a new Vplow. It is the 9 and a half footer. It looks awesome, and all hydraulics work great. Wings in, wings out, left, right, and down all work great. But I cant lift the plow more than an inch off the ground.
    This is my first Snowdogg plow and I am not familiar with them. There has got to be an adjustment I am missing somewhere. Does anyone know what the hell is goin on with it?
    I can take it back to where I bought it, but it is about 50 miles away, and I don't feel like driving it all that way again with such low clearance on the freeway.

newVX96.jpg

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

U need a taller truck...... Kidding

Take a pix with the truck on level ground and see how high the centar pin goes

3. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

did you leave the kickstand up where the jack goes? That would not allow for the plow to lift much at all. Also you could adjust the chains a little higher.

4. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

can you explain how that kickstand works?
    My Fisher Xblade didnt have anything like that. I will check it when I get home. probably around 7 tonight. I hope it is something simple like that

5. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

The kick stand, you twist it and remove it, there is another spot to put it on the plow while plowing

6. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

I removed the jack. Is that what you are talking about?

7. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yes, it should raise higher?

8. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

another thing i see all the time people mess around with the lift chains and then the plow will not lift as high.... make sure they are right.... also send some side pics.

9. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

so by the time I got done with lawn care last night it was late. I am going to check it out today and get back to everyone. Thanks for all the help. I will keep you posted

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There is also an adjustable stop/stand of sorts that keeps the header upright when detached from the truck. Make sure this is folded down. Was your extreme v a 9'6" or 8'6"? I've found the length of the wings make them hang a tad lower while the center still sits high when lifted.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think he has a SnowDogg, not a Fisher.

When you "lift" the blade, are you sucking the nose of the truck way down? What model Dodge?

12. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

Yes Snowdogg.
    No the front end doesnt sag hardly at all. When I try to lift the plow you can hear it trying to lift but it is almost like it is maxed out and wont go more than an inch.

it is a 2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

14. plowguy43

Yes i know he has a Snowdogg i was asking about the fisher incase the Snowdogg was the bigger model.

I was speaking of prop that basher just posted.

15. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Found the problem.... your mirrors are flipped up :eek:

have you tried to shorten the chain some and does it lift it any higher? Any photos of it on level ground?

16. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

We just installed 2- 8 footers and had the same problem "at first". Look right at the bottom of the plow were the jack is. Remove the jack "if you didnt already" look between the two top headlights lower middle of the plow frame. You will find a metal rod that attaches at the bottom of the plow frame and is stuck under the pump. It all most looks like the thing belongs there. You need to push on the frame towards the front of the truck. This will let the rod fall down. Your plow should now work! But if you tried going up and down a few times like we did. You probably bent the hell out of this rod as we did. lol We just removed it from the plow and are using 2x4's to hold the frame up instead.

Hope I was able to help and this was your problem. Also you may see some fluid leaking. It's normal. I was told by my dealer they over fill them before shipping.

This is our first year with the doggies. Hope it's a good one!

Good luck!

17. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

sorry everyone, it was my daughter's birthday this weekend. So I still haven't made it out there to look at what is going on. I will today for sure.

John143 can you send pictures?

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look at the drawing in the manual in my earlier post it is what John143 is explaining.

19. plowguy43

I meant to snap a picture this weekend but hopefully this helps:

Prop Rod.JPG

20. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

Ok everyone. I finally got back to checking the plow out yesterday. Wow do I feel stupid! You were all correct. It was simply that the "lift frame prop" was in the up position. I moved it down and put what I thought was the "extra pin" into the slot. Now the plow raises and lowers great, and I don't have any "extra" parts any more.

Thanks everyone for the help!