1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new vs. used

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MetroProperties, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MetroProperties

MetroProperties Junior Member

Hey guys. As I am beginning to get more jobs and expand I am starting to need a new truck. I was going to get a two door F350 with a plow. I am debating whether to get a used more designated plow truck or go new. I would like to go new because of reliability but it would be nice not having the payment of a new truck and the worries of it getting damaged. If i went used it would be in the 5,000 to 10,000 range. What are your thoughts?

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I just drove a 1996 F250 4x4 with a western 8' plow back from a repair shop to it's home at a local non profit. My brother drives it for them, clearing the parking lots.

Let me tell you it is about 300 light years from my 2012 F250.

New is new, and a warranty is better than working on it in the snow at 2AM with a dead flashlight and a leatherman.

Go test a new F250 (2012 leftovers are a bargin right now!) with the 10K GVW package.
    No medical card needed, cheaper to register and insure than a 350, and the 6.2 gasser has more HP than an F350 unless the F350 has the 10,000lb package...any truck over 10,001 GVW gets the detuned motor...Read the "new plow truck" thread...

Also, never under-estimate the value of image. If you look like a pro, you get treated like a pro.

3. Buswell Forest

from NH

If you went here, you could get this one with a Fisher 9.5 Xtreme V out the door for $36300.
    Put $4000 down, and have zero % @ 60 with a payment around $540 a month.

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

New is nice if you have the cash flow. It doesn't guarantee a problem free season but it sure helps. I don't get out of bed to be uncomfortable and I don't plow all night to worry about fixing trucks all day. We charge a little more than the next guy but our customers know they're getting good service and we have dependable equipment. Buying new isn't for everyone and a lot of guys have good used equipment and probably don't have to push as much snow to make good money. I say good for them. I like new trucks and we make good money with them. To each their own but it can be done both ways.
    With that said...don't go out and buy a new truck thinking you're going to plow a bunch of snow to pay for it. You just might go broke waiting for it to snow. My advice. If you are confident in getting the work and have a plan, then spend the cash money on the biggest baddest plow your local dealer sells and put it on a new single cab gasser. It will be the most productive piece you can get...and pray for snow.

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

For the same price you can get a F350 w/ a 10,400 GVWR single cab gas. It will handle any plow and a skid of salt in the back. I've not heard of "detuning" the 6.2. We have one in a 350 and its definitely not detuned.

6. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I searched the whole midwest area on cars.com and autotrader for a 1-2 year old Duramax crew cab truck. I found a few but they were barely cheaper then a new truck with the same options and lots of rebates and incentives.

So I went new and got a full factory warranty. Couldn't be happier.

Do a search for a used truck and see if you'll end up saving much $. If used and new trucks are close in price........go new.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I buy used I use to buy new 70% time when something breaks its after the warranty runs out
    For what new ones cost these days you can buy 2-3 trucks under $10k and move more snow then 1 $35k truck can
    Sure might have to fix things on older trucks cost $10K but when the warranty runs out on that $35K + repairs
    I try buy used trucks thats never been a plow truck

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If you're buying a domestic brand truck, used is far more economical than new. Import brands, even when manufactured domestically, hold their value too well to be worth buying used.

I say then, that since you're buying domestic brand, buy used. Even if you have to replace the transmission, 5-10k + a new transmission is a whole lot less than 40-50k.

9. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I despise new, even though upfitting new trucks is part of my business.

New trucks have no soul. Sure, they look shiny and pretty, but at the end of the day, I judge the results by just that. Results. If you can do a job the same with a 20 year old truck and it be reliable, I would rather have a truck with character than shine.

Granted, all of my trucks are completely rebuilt before going into service, along with rust repair and fresh paint.

I have just as many new trucks towed in for repairs as I do older, and quite frankly the older ones come in less frequently. The image thing is moot, you can have a nice looking older rig just as easily as a nice looking new one. A lot of customers see brand new equipment and wonder if they are being overcharged to make those payments.

10. Buswell Forest

from NH

That's only 401 lbs more than my F250.

I just researched it more in-depth, and it turns out that Ford actually tests the engines at a lower RPM for HP numbers in trucks over 10,001 GVW. The engines are exactly the same.
    I am sorry for spreading incorrect info.

I suppose the only real difference besides the payload capacity is (at least I think!) you don't need a medical card to drive a truck under 10,001 GVW.
    I weighed my truck without the plow, and with me in it and 1/4 tank of fuel it was 6,730 pounds. Simple math tells me it has a 3300 pound payload...that's plenty for me...and it rides decent.

11. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I don't get why the difference in HP rating between the 250 & 350, but I'm sure they have their reasons. I didn't "request" the 10,400 GVWR it just happened to be on the truck that I bought because it was equipped the way I wanted it. Make no mistake about it, it rides like a lumber wagon w/out the plow. My new '12 has a GVWR of 11,600 and rides like a cadillac compared to my '11.

12. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Dont go out and buy a brand new truck and plow. As ive learned in the past 2 years there isnt very much money in plowing when it only snows 3-4 all winter. You will not be able to afford it just relying on plowing alone. Your best bet is to get a 2008-09 F250 that has never plowed and find a deal on a slightly used plow. Im sure theres plenty of deals on plows right now being that there isnt any snow!

13. scott3430

I bought new because in the spring - fall season were in my truck 5-6 days a week, and downtime is not an option for us.
    In my experience new and newer trucks have not broke down compared to a 20-30 year old truck. I depend on a truck for year around work - so for me, new is a good option. And a nice tax benefit.

But if I only used it for snow work - I would buy USED for sure.

14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I like buying trucks that are about 2-4 years old. I look for real clean, well maintained trucks that have never plowed snow or worked hard before. Works good for me. Plows can really kill trucks.

15. GARRETTWOOD

GARRETTWOOD Junior Member

New, is the best way to go in my opinion. Have always bought new and made payments. A lot of people think I'am crazy. No break downs hardly at all. Once in awhile something minor.

16. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I personally bought one new truck, and vowed to never do it again. I have an 01' F450 cc that I paid $20k for when it had 60k miles and an 04' F550 cc4x4 that I bought for $14k with110k miles. I use the 450 every day and the most it has ever been down for was a couple days since 08'. It now has 215k miles and runs strong.

So I am $34k out of pocket and have (2) reliable trucks instead of being out mid $50s for one truck that I would have had to make payments on. For myself, this works and doesn't make any sense at all to blow all that extra money to have a new truck.

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Hateful: you make some good points here. I need to come clean and say that I do not know "how to turn wrenches". I can do basic maintenance but if some thing breaks I have to pay. When I bought my truck new, I bought a Ford (not a brand x) extended warranty for 7 years and 200,000 miles... whichever comes first. I baby my truck and hopefully I will not have to use that warranty. My plow was not even on last year or this year ... yet

18. scott3430

Lettuceman - i'm kind of curious what you had to pay for a extended warranty - 7 years/200k miles.

If you went with your dealer for it, or an outside company for it? Thx.

19. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

If you can wrench em' yourself, a used truck is much more profitable than new. Even if you can't it still makes more economic sense. Plenty of good, lightly used trucks out there for a fraction of the cost, taxes and insurance.

20. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

$3000.00 @ the dealer
    As stated: this is a Ford Warranty