1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New vs Used Western 8'6" MVP

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by musclecarboy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys,
    I've been doing a little research and have narrowed choices for a plow. I can either buy an '01 8'6" Western MVP that was hardly used (barely scratched) for $2500-3000 or go down to the states and get a NEW Poly 8'6" MVP for $5000-5500. Do you think its worth it to go new to have the Ultramount, new lights, etc over buying the used plow?

Thanks.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Depends how much your going to use it. I wouldn't pay more then $2500. Used is used. JMO.

3. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Ultimately this plow will serve me for quite a few years. I think its just worth it to go new in the long run because of all the new technologies developed.

4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i have a uni -mount like what you where looking at used . it decent blade but in imo newer is better . boss blades are right in that market i dunno if are a western fav or not

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i personally will never again buy a new plow , unless its gettign mounted to a brand new truck straight from the dealer. I have had very good luck with used plows. you can find used westerns for 1200 if you look hard.. heck invest another 400 to do some replacements, and you basicly have a new plow , theres really not alot to go wrong with these things , if you understand how they work fully

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When talking Western MVP, newer is better. Better hydro's, wiring, performance, and parts availability. The Uni's were good for their day but there is better. Plus you'll have warranty.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

warrantys dont do much at 2 am, eitherway you need parts on hand

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If your going to keep your plow for 10 years like I do, then new is better. What do I want someone else junk for. Plus if your making money, you need the write offs anyway. Starting out find a good used plow that you can afford and then you can upgrade later when you have more money coming in.