1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new vertex leds installed

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by sabres07, Oct 28, 2008.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I got my pair of amber vertex leds today and installed them. They were small enough to fit in my back up lights on my 05 Chevy, which was nice. The back up lens on my Chevy is very small and is only visible from the back. The install was very easy...running the wiring was a little harder. The LEDs only came with 9 feet of wire...they need about 30.
    The lights themselves are more yellow than orange, which is a bummer because my beacon light is orange. Not sure how that is gonna look at night. I have not gotten to switching to the different patterns yet (ran out of time today)...and I have not seen them at night yet with reverse lights on. Don't know if they will be washed out yet. if so, i'll have to put a relay in so back-up lights are off when strobes are on. I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

video?....

3. OSLIGHTS

OSLIGHTS Member
    from Florida

I agree, pics, video? As far as the color, I thought they should be ok, as the amber is the only color Vertex with a colored outer lens, the reason is that they were trying to get the output color correct, and needed the colored lens to do so. Let us know how you like them!

4. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

High marks for ease of installation. I am having issues with the flash patterns, though. I connected the green sync wire to the pair of lights and installed a momentary switch. I can get through all the patterns but there does not seem to be a "true" wig-wag pattern. The best I get is a pattern where one side seems slightly slower than the other. I was hoping for a very distinct alternating pattern so when I install fronts, I can have left front/ right rear on, and then right front/ left rear on. Am I doing something wrong here?

5. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

not shur i havent had any problem with them like that ask matt from BlueLine :bluebounc

6. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

you need to switch the pattern one light at a time, it sounds like you have both pattern wires hooked to the same switch. there fore are not getting one on the other phase of the flash pattern.

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

not sure, but from other light manuals most have you set the flash pattern on the first light, then set to the next pattern on the other light that you want to wig wag on, before you link up the sync wires. so basically

light 1 on pattern 1
    light 2 on pattern 2, will give wig wag.

and as you flip with a mommentary switch, light 2 will always be one pattern ahead.

yeah the vertex is like this, if you look at your install sheet or. http://www.whelen.com/install/142/14208.pdf

you'll see that sync pattern 1 and 2 are the same, just different phases. so advance lets say light group 2, one phase ahead of light group 1

if you need more, it;s explained in whelen l11 install manual. thats were I first saw it.

8. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Thanks for the replies, but I am confused. Here is how I have it now. Both vertex leds are installed. The green sync wire is connected between the ligths. The white flashlock wire is connected between the lights and is connected to a momentary switch in the cab. Are you saying that I have to only connect one light's white flashlock wire to the momentary switch, set it's phase, then connect the other light to the momentary switch and set it's phase...and then connect both whites together to the switch? What happens when I get two more leds for the front? Do I set the opposite corners of the truck on one phase and the other set of corners on the other phase so that they wig wag? Do all four sync wires then get connected together? Sounds like I got to unravel my wiring but I am not quite sure what you mean and the directions that came with the lights are very vague.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Has anybody tried to put these in Ford super duty reverse lights? I wanted them for my 2005 SD but it looked like they might not fit

10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Your setup is right, all you have to do to get them to flash alternating, but same pattern, is as you said set one of the lights ahead one pattern, so take off one lights white wire, and use the mommentary switch to push the light still connected ahead on pattern. then throw the other lights wire back on, and your set. after that you can use the mommentary flip between patterns, and they will always be alternating flash.

When you add more, I would reset all lights to solid state (or whatever factory setting is), which is normally hold power to the white wire, while you turn them on. (some lights are a different way instructions will say) then pick what lights you want on at a time, push them both ahead on pattern. after that hook it all back to how you have it. and your set.

keep in mind I'm just putting this together fromm the instruction sheet on Whelen.com

11. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Yep...with your help I have them working properly (alternating). The instructions that came with the lights said nothing about setting each light separately and never having worked with lights like these, I had no idea that was the way it was done. Glad I asked the question....now they work great. They do, however, wash out when BU lights are on, so now I am trying to find the right wire to set a relay to....grrrrrrr.....