1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new vehicle for residentials

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by scooled101, Jan 20, 2009.

1. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

i was surfing a little and I came across this company they sell a few different types of tuck type things and you can put a lot of different attachments on the to

http://www.holder.on.ca/inst_tractor_c988.html

Anyone use one of these

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Alot of the munis use them they aren't cheap.

3. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

how would these compare to the bobcat

4. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

I can't imagine those holders are cheap, easily more than the cost of a brand new skid. The city uses them around here for sidewalks usually and there was a member on here that had one with a blower and did residentials. Put the Holder in a parking lot with a skid steer and the skid would run circles around it I'm sure, I'd rather have a bobcat with remote control...

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/remote_control

5. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

So you would rather stand outside in the snow and cold to operate the skid, or be inside a closed cab with heat?

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Who said anything about standing in the cold. I'd be in the house with a remote camera running it from my office chair. :D

7. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

lol yea i guess that sounds like a pritty good plan

8. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

sorry let me rephrase this the tool cat That bobcat makes?

9. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

We had one of these when I worked for the City of Boulder, CO. We got it brand new and it was a POS. It would break often and it wasn't very user friendly. It had a bunch of attachments (plow, brush mower, mower, sweeper), but just wasn't a great machine. It was between that and the Toolcat, and they chose the Holder. They ended up replacing it this past year with a Toolcat. Too bad I don't work there anymore...

10. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

That thing does not really compare to a bobcat. The plows on them are usually 4 feet wide. They don't have zero turning radius. They cost 40k and more sometimes new. They are pretty much specifically for sidewalks. They have pretty weak salt capacity too. They can run a vplow, straightblade, blower, sweeper etc but a skid or small truck would make much more sense, and cost half as much

11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Like its been said, muni got them to replace the Bombardier sidewalk cleaners, as a year round machine. Would be a total waste of time on driveways. Try this instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuI9zcWKs2Q

12. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

u guys in canada are blower crazy!! im not to sure we would be allowed to run that kind of equipment on the streets here in my city. everyone is still using trucks and plows.

13. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

For the Holder C500 (the model before the 9700) back in 1989, my town paid over $70,000 with a flail mower, Cote snowplow, v-plow, snowblower, Bryant Spreader, and a Johnston Sweeper. My Dad was working for the town at the time, and they were using a Kubota Narrow Series tractor (I think)... it was Kubota at least, and my Dad and some other town workers voted against the Holder due to price, since you could buy a few Kubota tractors for that price.. The DPW director was pissed off. They ended up with the Holder anyways. They had to work on the flail mower after using it only a couple hours. Holder has come a long way since then, though.

14. mgg1005

mgg1005 Junior Member

My brother runs one of those for the city DPW. They have a straight blade, V blade and a blower for it they use it to do sidewalks. They cost around $80,000 he said, its a few years old now.

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My City has one or two too- basically just for plowing/sanding sidewalks. Usually the SW48's are being used instead- seems they get more sidewalk cleared in the same time...

16. master hack

master hack Junior Member

holder tractors

i work on holder tractors for a municipality and can give you all the pros & cons you want. gimme some questions

17. bossplwr09

bossplwr09 Member

From what i have heard from our local municipality they hated theirs.. Lack of suspension gave the operator a very rough ride, and broke frequently.. They traded up to a Toolcat and love it!

18. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

These are essentially the same as a Trackless, aren't they?

19. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wat are the pros and cons?:D

20. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by master hack
    i work on holder tractors for a municipality and can give you all the pros & cons you want. gimme some questions

wat are the pros and cons?

yeah, what he said....:laughing::laughing::popcorn::popcorn: