1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New V Plow and Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by River Hill, Sep 24, 2002.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I am in the market for a new V Plow and Tailgate Spreader. I have read some of the old post, but wanted to find what most of you guys like and why. I am in Maryland, so we don't get much snow. But when it snows there is money to be made. Can you recommend any shops in MD or the Mid-Atlantic area? Western, Boss, and Fisher are the 3 I am considering at this time, but I don't know the differences. Maybe one of you can tell me or recommend something else to look at. This is my first year plowing and I don't want to buy junk and replace it two years later. I will probably be installing this on a 2002 F350 Diesel regular cab, maybe a Crew Cab.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Of those three, I'd recommend the one with the closest dealer. You're not going to turn either of those into junk within two years, especially given the amount of snow you get in MD. All three are tough plows. You want to figure out how much weight you can allow for a plow on that 3500 with a crew cab and a diesel. If you haven't already got the truck, you might want to stick with a regular cab, which would be more maneuverable in lots and driveways.
  3. dave-man

dave-man Junior Member

Where are you in MD? Wilbar Truck Equipment has a shop in Hagerstown. Lot's of folks (at least here in Northern Virginia) seem to think highly of them. My next door neighbor has bought at least three plows from them (including installation). I've had good experience with their Springfield, VA shop on special orders and advice.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, consider Central Parts Warehouse. Bill spent a lot of time on the phone with me on my first plow making sure I had a good fit to my needs and that installing it myself was something I could really do. Incidentally, I took about four hours to install a Western Pro on my F250 SD, at least half of which was spent drilling the mounting holes in the frame with the slowest pneumatic drill you have ever seen in your life.

In this area, there are a lot of Western and Meyer plows, with a sprinkling of Boss. I don't think I have ever seen a Fisher in the area. I'd recommend Western, with Boss as a second choice, mostly because you can count on getting parts in a reasonable amount of time if something goes during a storm.
  4. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I will give Wilbur Truck Equipment a call. Thank you.
  5. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member