1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New V-Box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gordyo, Dec 11, 2002.

1. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I purchased my first Stainless Steel V-Box this week thanks to advice I got from alot of you guys last spring when I posted the question stainless vs. steel. I pick it up on Friday if everything goes right. I saw it today at the distributor and can't wait to get it installed.:) I'll try to remember to post a picture when I get it back from the shop.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2002
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hopefully you will get plenty of chances to play, i mean use, it this winter! What brand did you buy? :drinkup: congrats on the new investment!

3. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

i am actually looking for one right now for my chevy k2500 ext cab 6' bed. that means i need a 6' vbox please help... what brand did you order?

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

golfmanres , check Downeaster. I think they make a 6' Vbox.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I know the feeling, I sold my downeaster mild steel unit today, and my tailgate spreader should go on Friday. That means that tomorrow I will be at the dealer to p/u my new stainless steel spreader. My options are a smith electric unit like the one I am running on my 98 K-3500. Or the new Fisher units with honda power or techumseh power.
    I am leaning towards the smith unit for 3600 Cash and carry, vs the honda power for 4450.00.
    What do you guys think?
    Dino

6. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

try ice o way, they have a 6.5' model.

www.iceoway.com

we run 8', 9' SS models, never have problems with them, also have ms model which we repainted this year.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Dino go electric. You know the benefits. Stay with the Smith.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Dino, I think you know my answer - get the Honda. A motor that'll start every time makes it worth extra (vs another gas - don't know about electric).

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If I did go gas I would say Honda of course.

Hydro is the best option if it was possible.

My choice for a pickup would still be the electric.

10. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

It's branded Diamond but built by Swenson. 9' and I will mount it on my F-450.

11. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i have a stainless snoway v box with 8hp briggs,no trouble with engine starting yet but ..............if i had it to do again i would like the electric motor just to avoid possible no start situations at 2am.
    dan

12. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

GOLFMANRES,
    Did you take a look at SNO-EX (trynex) 6' plastic hopper with steel frame, electricmotor and vibrator? i installed 4 8' footers and so far very happy. Good luck PT.:waving:

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Good luck with the new box, Gordyo!

Dino, I had too much trouble with my Briggs powered Torwell, the main reason I bought the Snowfighter. Every storm it would give me trouble with electrical glitches. Once I got them sorted out, it ran fine, and always started. I think the same would happen with a Honda.

I talked to a guy the other day who runs an electric sander, he loves it. He's had it 5 years and hasn't done anything to it. To set up, he makes one plug connection and goes. The motor draws 30 amps, so if you've got sufficient power, I think it would be the way to go.

14. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Here is the picture:

new_sander_front.jpg

15. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

And another:

new_sander_side.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2002
  16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Gordyo looks real good :)

17. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Gorgyo they make the Dowmeasters 30 minutes from our shop! You picked up a real good sander and the perfect truck to put it on, Is that a automatic transmission? If so look into the Banks transpak or B&M transpack raises the line pressure on those a4od which is needed. Once agian great sander!!!!:p

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Looks good!

What's the capacity, it looks pretty big?

19. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Pelican,

It's 3.4 yards.

20. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Gordyo,very nice spreader.It is a monster.Your truck is sweet too.Good luck with it.