1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new user help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stillen, Jul 20, 2008.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Just got my first plow vehicle..... Ive been reading some of the posts and I am confused on one thing. That is getting snow in front of a garage door. Looks like some of you have back drags. I'm assuming that you can't backdrag with out a back drag edge enough in front of the doors because the plow ends up riding over the snow rather than drag it.... I also heard that back dragging with a plow is bad... Can you guys give me some pointers, because most of the driveways I've already contracted for this winter have garages, some on inclines, some flat...

Thanks Mike

ooo, btw...
    i have a 05, dodge ram QC, hemi, 2500hd, auto, 3.73's, 8 foot fisherhd stragiht blade. .... new BFG at's

2. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I usually just drive straight up to the garage drop my plow and pull the snow back. Once i make enough room I push all the snow either to the side if its ok or i back in to the driveway and push the snow out. You can buy the plow that mounts onto the back of the truck so all you got to do is back in drop both front and back plows then go straight out. It all depends on the situation your in.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What you can do is this. If you can plow up the drive and push it off to the sides,then back drag the last of the snow that is by the garage door and push that snow off to the sides.You don't want to keep driving over the snow you'll pack it down and it won't drag as clean,that's where you get the build up on the driveway.

4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

grandview, sounds like you got it down to a science. you plow snow? i thought you were an IT tech from all the time you spend online

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Saw it was on Modern Marvels on how to plow snow!:rolleyes:

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Trade your plow for a Sno-Way that has down- pressure. J/K
    Like was said. Pull up to the door and drag backwards, once the blade statrs to lift then pick it up and re-drag till you are able to push the pile. Backdragging is NOT hard on a plow. JMO

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

short drive ways.... less than about 40 feet... and less than 4 inches of snow
    - Drive into the drive forward, towards the door, with ur plow down... this will scrape the snow clean, and allow u to drive on pavment rather than snow.... when ur 5 feet from the door raise ur plow, and drive forward over the pile u just created ... drop ur plow and pull it out, then repeat the process until ur done

longer driveways, or more than 4 inches, you need to angle to the side... i recommend just backing in, and plowing the drive out.... after a few times, turn around and repeat the steps above....

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use an 8' Fisher now and it's plenty heavy enough for backdragging by simply driving straight up to the garage door, lower the plow and back out. Even with 8" to 10" of snow, you'll still be fine for about a truck's length. Then, turn around and back in to finish pushing out, I've also done the angling in reverse and backed all the way. Not quite the same as plowing forward, but it works. I've also plowed in reverse with 7.5' and 9' Fishers.

One word of caution - don't stop while backing until you get to a cleared area where you'll have good traction. Snow behind the moldboard (technical name for the blade) is a good way to get stuck. Practice with 3" to 6" snowfalls and you'll get a feel for when the snow is building up too much..

9. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

There have been a lot of good points made so far. You'll get the hand of it after the first couple storms. If your plow doesn't clear well enough, you can always buy a backdrag blade midway into the season. I wasn't happy w/the way my Fisher backdragged, so I spent the $200 and got a blade and had it installed by my Fisher dealer. Worth every penny!

10. stillen

stillen Senior Member

You guys are great... thanks so far for the help.......

11. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

haha thats what i was gonna say!!