1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New used western now 95 F250 overheating

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by green frog, Oct 4, 2007.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I had a western pro plow 7.5 today. On the thruway the truck almost over heated. I checked antifreeze and its full but less than half good. So I figure I will change it and thought about putting in a new thermostat. Any thing else I should do? It was 80 today and I was doing 65 mph.
  2. EPS

EPS Member

Driving down the highway at any speed won't matter. The problem is with the blade up it is blocking almost all airflow into your engine compartment therefore making the truck run hot. Try driving the truck with the plow off and see what happens.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Put the plow down about 2" off the pavement and angled to the right. Then try it
  4. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

My new to me old Fisher did the samething today and I can't lower the blade any lower.:realmad:

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Replace the fan clutch.
  6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Exactly! Just dont raise the blade that high. You dont want to block the entire front end of the truck. and yes the 80 degree heat does not help. It shouldnt be your truck, but take the plow off and drive it just to make sure.
  7. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. I took the plow off and did not get hot. Will change anti-freeze and thermostat since I already bought them.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

And the fan clutch.

If it is not over heating while the plow is off then the anti freeze and thermostat are fine.

Although a flush and new one never hurt, the thing that is making it over heat while the plow is on is a bad fan clutch.