1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New (Used) Truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crashz, Nov 5, 2004.

1. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I'm trying to get an honest opinion on buying a used truck. Below is the truck and my trade in:

1995 F350 XLT, 351, auto, 4x4, 79K miles, Fisher MM1 8' plow, body in good shape (a few dings and scratches), obviously owned by a older gentleman (side steps, no scratches in the bed, diamond plate and cheesy pin striping everywhere) - $8900

My trade: 2001 F150 XL, 4.2L V6, auto, 4x4, 94K miles, body in excellent shape (not a scratch)

My dilemma is that I commute 5 days a week about 30 miles round trip. What could I reasonably expect for fuel mileage? I expect 10 -12 mpg. My F150 gets about 14-15 now. Do you think this would work as a daily driver and back up truck? Being so old, is there a reliability issue? The F350 offers a lot more features than my current truck and is actually the truck I've been looking for for a long time. Except for the gas engine. If it was diesel, I'd be driving it now.

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Before I bought my 1993 F250, I looked at a 1996 F350 XL 351 auto new tires & AC with 68,000 miles on it for $10,000.00. This truck didn't have a scratch on it or a snow plow. I bought a 1993 F250 XL 351 auto new tires & wheels, AC 125,000 miles for around $5,000.00 without a snowplow. This truck is in great shape with only 1 rusty spot. Bottom line I think you are getting a great truck for the price! My 1993 F250 gets a strong 12 miles to the gallon with 3.55 limited slip gears & 285/75/16 tires on it. I think that you should go get the truck! You won't be sorry! :waving: BOAST

3. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Well I visited the dealer at lunch. Just got back. No deal. The truck had some body damage to the bed side that I didn't see last night. Had a few more scrathes than I thought too. But the body didn't concern me all that much. It started and ran smooth, plow operated well and brakes felt solid. We walked in to discuss the deal, and we got pulled aside by the used car manager and he told us the truck will not be sold. It has to go to auction. Evidently it needs a transmission and the dealership doesn't want to be responsible. I asked why they would put a price on it if that was the case and he replied that they didn't realize it until they tried backing it into its parking spot. No Reverse. So no F350.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

MOST OF THE TIME, IF IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE-IT PROBABLY IS!!!! :waving: Hate that for you buddy! That truck wouldn't happen to be green would it??

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  5. crashz

crashz Senior Member

No - it was black. Thats funny though, there was a green one there, a 97 with a diesel that got auctioned off too. But that looked like it went through hell and back. Hit on every corner and had a bow in the blade.

6. INF350

INF350 Junior Member

My F350 w/351 runs great with 200,000 on it. Put a plow on it this year. I do expect to change the motor and possibly the trans before next year. Anyway I get 13 mpg and drive 52 miles one way every day to work. Holding up just fien.