1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New...Used...refurbish?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Mar 13, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

For those who had read some of my threads this past season you know that I had my share of problems with my E47 pump.The season is over and I am thinking that I want to find out what others do in this type of situation.I am not a big operation, just me, plowing 25 places, only residential.I am willing to grow,but this takes time.I have my MYER ST 7.5 with E47.I want to make a decision about what I can do for next year in regards the equipment I have today.The options I have are based on,keep in mind the number of accounts I have, cost vs benefit and depenabilityvs aggravation.A new set up your looking at 3.5-4k, purchasing some other set up price (unknown) or reburshing current blade( rebuild pump 350.00 dollars, new angling RAMS 350.00) 800.oo bucks.The blade is older 8yrs but still has good edge A frame sector ok.I like my equipment to work and at this time all is ok, who knows next year I just like to be prepared.I would like to get a COMMERCIAL blade but for residential maybe its not neceassary.I only want to spend what is neceassary to do the job.Any thoughts would be helpful.Thanks to all this season.Dave

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Dave, as with any small company you have to have equiment that will not let you down. I would look for a used setup a year or two old for your truck. There are some good deals out there if you can wait. You might want to also line up a guy to back you up if you have a break down. That is a life saver having a good back up.

Good Luck Mike

3. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Mike, I decided to look for a good used set-up in the Fall is this a good time bad time.What kinds of things ,when purchasing a used piece of equipment should I be heads up for.Dave

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Do yourself a favor. Take the whole plow off the truck and go get another plow that does not say meyer on it. Thats what I am doing to mine. :angry:

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have to agree- seems to be alot of rebuilding necessary with meyers.

Keep in mind too if you plow more than your own driveway, as in you plow for a business you should have commercial duty equipment. Residential means home use, not for plowing residentials, plowing for a business is commercial plowing, weither it's parking lots or driveways.