1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New/Used mm1 will not lower all the way HELP

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by couldbe, Dec 20, 2009.

1. couldbe

couldbe Junior Member
    from Maine

Storm on the way and new/used plow will not lower all the way, bought a used MM1 LD 6' 9", took it to the local body shop and had it sand/blasted and painted so the plow was completly taken apart. Plow is done and on the truck new fluid has been added, everything works good till you try and lower the plow and about half way down it starts to moan and groan and you have to sit on the plow to continue it down then about two inches from being all the way down it stops and will not go any more. We are lost and very discouraged, major storm on the way HELP !!

2. couldbe

couldbe Junior Member
    from Maine

Still looking

Plowsite members, I am still looking for some ideas. One thing I did not mention is that I talked to the guy who owned the plow and he told me it worked great befor he traded plow and truck in on a new truck. Thank you all in advance for any pointers/ideas any of you may have to offer.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Possibly something with the drop speed adjustment quill being out of adjustment?

4. couldbe

couldbe Junior Member
    from Maine

Thank you mcwlandscaping for your reply, we tried to adjust the speed drop quill and it made no diffrence we even unhooked the hyd. hose from the lift cylinder and that did not seem to make any diffrence either. I only bought the plow and not the truck it was on, this is the second plow that I have had taken apart sandblasted/painted and put on in the last month. The first one went back together and worked with no problems, this one is not so easy to get along with. Both plows look brand new and it was a time consuming process to do.

5. Geoff426

Geoff426 Junior Member

The fisher web site has a downloadable mechanics manual

Possible problems: Snowplow will not lower or lowers slowly, or won’t float

Quill adjusted in to far
    Lift cylinder packing nut too tight
    Lift cylinder packing dried out
    Solenoid valve coils not activating properly
    Hydraulic system malfunction
    Malfunctioning controller.

6. Geoff426

Geoff426 Junior Member

7. couldbe

couldbe Junior Member
    from Maine

Thank you Geoff, this will give us some more things to check. I will print it off and take to the guy doing my work. He and I worked on it till late last night trying to get ahead of the storm and not to mention the fact that he had other things scheduled to come in today. Like anything,great when they work but not worth a dam when they don't.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If you unhooked the hose from the cylinder and it still did not drop, it would lead me to believe it is something with the seals in the cylinder or the packing nut being too tight.

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Loosen the packing nut alittle. Also, Is there any pitting, corrosion, or black marks on the lift cylinder, the actual silver part. run the ram all the way up and check it over. It maybe time to rebuild or replace it.

10. couldbe

couldbe Junior Member
    from Maine

Just finished printing the Mechanic's Guide, I think you guys are pointing me in the correct direction the lift piston itself. I do not remember any pitting on the ram when looking at it when the plow was in the full lift position but it was getting late, so I will look at it again today. You guys are great and thanks soooo much for the help and I will re-post when we have cracked this puppy.

11. couldbe

couldbe Junior Member
    from Maine

Update,
    Never started working on the plow again till 6:00 pm tonight, when we got in the truck to bring it back inside the plow was working the way it should be. Once inside I could see a rust ring on the lift piston where it matched up with the packing nut while sitting around for a year or so. Tried to clean it off with some very fine grit paper but had no luck, we did oil up the ram the best we could and it is working good for now. I will continue to watch it for now and if need be I will replace the lift piston Thanks to all who responded to my cry for help.

12. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

could have been ice... it has be super cold ...