1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new unimount MVP owner..few questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fatboyNJ, Nov 21, 2011.

1. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

so was craiglist browsing and came across a hell of a deal on a 8.5 uni MVP and to my surprise it wasnt sold so i went and picked it up...

now my questions

it has the 50 anniversary stickers on it, what year would that make the plow?>

and i know the wiring is differnt, i have to get the truckside wiring for my ram cuz its wired for a 7.5 straight, once i get the MVP wiring, would i be able to run the straight on the truck if need be? or is the wiring totally different and not possible to use the straight once the truck is wired for the V?

thanks for all the help and i will have pix posted tomorrrow most likely
    :mechanic:

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

50th anniversary would make it around 2003, last year they made the uni-mount.
    You are correct, the wiring is different.
    I know there are some guys on here who do run both, we'll see if they chime in to how they did it.

3. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

You'll have to re-wire the plow and put on new plug ends for the lights and control harness. Power should be the same. I have the same yr MVP and that was what I was told by a Western dealer.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you wrie the truck for the MVP (not the MVP Plus) you can plug in an adapter that will allow you to run the regular straight blade. Be aware that Western is introducing a new two wire straight blade that has only two plugs and uses the multiplex system (like on the MVP Plus and Wide-outs) Your plow probably has two plugs at the grill but they will have to be replaced if you want to be cross compatible with the straight blade. You need to go to the three plug system. That has one cable dedicated to headlights / signals / park lights. One cable dedicated to pump controls and the last cable is for pump motor power from the relay.

5. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

so even being a unimount with 2 plugs i would have to wire everything to 3 plugs? ie the 2 plows as well as the truck?

6. mishnick

In order to use the new isolation module wiring system you would have to rewire everything for three plugs. You could make the old unimount V plow and a uni straight blade work on the same truck with the two wire system but you would have to use relays for switching the headlights. Stlil you would need to wire for the V plow and then use the same adapter to run the straight blade. The relay systems were out of production long before I took my training so you will have to find an old timer who knows that system better to help you out. I have serviced and repaired these but I don't have the lists to figure out what harnesses you would need. This rout would certainly be cheaper but in my opinion the three wire isolation module system would be much easier to install, more reliable and by far easier to troubleshoot when you have problems. Another advantage would be that if you upgrade to a newer ultra-mount you wouldn't need any new wires for that truck. Of course that only applies to non-multiplex plows. If you want instructions and part numbers for the relay harnesses get in touch with a fellow who goes by B&B, he is very strong with the old uni electrical and can get you harnesses too.

7. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

thanks for the help man,
    i think i have what i need figured out to stick with the Uni wiring, its what me and my father know good so kind of what i would like to stick with,

from what i gather i would need the
    1. 12 pin vehicle harness part #66610
    2. 12 pin plowside repair harness part #49319 (to rewire the Uni straight to have a 12pin plug to work with V wiring???)
    3. MVP truck power harness part #66623(not positive i need this becuase truck is already wired, not sure is straight blade and mvp use same power)

hopefully i am in the right direction and one of the guys with experienice will chime in soon
    thanks again for the help so far

8. mishnick

You shouldn't need the repair plug for the plow. If the plow has only two plugs it may well be already compatible. There will be less pins in it but that is only because there are only only three coils in the straight blade and the other pins are not needed. The straight blade and the MVP probably use the same power plug. Some of these old relay systems had an extra small pin in the power plug that went to ground but most did not have this as far as I know. All you really need is the 12 pin MVP control harness 66610 and the adapter 66760K to use the straight blade controller on the MVP control harness.