1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New UNIMOG Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MOE, Feb 21, 2001.

1. MOE

MOE PlowSite.com Veteran

Anybody hear about the new UNIMOG from Frightliner/Chrysler ? I heard the are touting it as a plow truck it will be the largest suv ever made.4x4 diesel 20 feet long and over 9 feet high. (available with leather and 4 cup holders. (I'm drooling already)
    Oh yea, it's $84,000

Moe

2. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

Will those cup holders be heated & cooled to keep your beverage of choice at the right temp along with being spill proof for when you hit the pile that doesnt move?
    Actually no I have not but I think it would be worth a look.

3. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

20' long? I'll bet that would play heck getting around that cul-de-sac in the residential driveways. On the other hand...Huge!! Powerful!! Expensive!!! All the ingrediants for a wife's nightmare and a man's premium playtoy.

Bruce

4. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

5. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Hello,

All I know is I hope they designed this one to at least be able to accomodate a person over 4'8" tall. For some reason, the old ones were designed for midgets. Must be a lot of short germans out there.

steveair

6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

What a beast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd bet that thing would move some snow...

-Tim

[Edited by SlimJim Z71 on 02-22-2001 at 07:30 AM]

7. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Some how I don't think I see the type of people that are in the photo driving this thing

8. Larrytow

Larrytow Junior Member

That would make a real beast of a tow truck too. Kinda makes a Humvee look wimpy! Be fun to show up at church in one of them.

Regards, Larry

9. Mowingman

Mowingman Junior Member

Those of you who are as old as I am (50) will probably remember that the Unimog has been sold here in the US on a sporadic basis for about the last 20 years or so. They were sold at Case construction equipment dealers and were painted "Case" yellow with "Case" decals. I just saw one here at a repair shop last month.

10. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Tim, im looking at your first picture, this is not a unimog, look for the mercedes logo in the front grill. but it look great too.

Denis

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Denis, Freightliner is owned by Mercedes/Chrysler or whatever they are calling it now. I read that you can put a snowblower, mower, auger, etc on it. Front and rear PTO's. Supposedly climb an 80% grade. No problem stacking snow with that. lol

12. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

THIS BEAST LOOKS SHARP !!!

Where is the dotted line for me to sign?

Just kidding, But it does look like it would be a beast.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see 2 or 3 of these, a couple of Airflo spreaders, plus one or two Hummers, and a couple of Chevy HD duramax diesels, all painted Black, decked out in Fisher V's and straight blades, with Whelen Towman light bars.

Thats a hell of a fleet, and one hell of a price tag!!!

My wife just hid the checkbook and tore up my credit cards!!!!

13. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

What a beast.....

Their is a guy on our crew that has a hummer, well let's just say that he plows as a hobby... He has a plow on it and I want to cry when I see this thing smashing in to snow piles, and ramming the A frame in to the truck... I know they are Super Heavy Duty, but I would rather waste 30 grand in 5 years then 80 in 7

14. cutting edge

cutting edge Junior Member

To learn some "real facts" about the new Unimog go here http://www.car-truck.com and click on the Buzz section then click
    BUZZ WATCH
    AMERICAN LAFRANCE DURANGO
    "MONSTER SUV" / UNIMOG BUZZ

It seems the New York Times misrepresented this vehicle in a recent article.

[Edited by cutting edge on 02-23-2001 at 10:40 AM]