1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Tundra

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by boston41, Nov 30, 2010.

1. boston41

boston41 Junior Member

Just wondering if anybody plows commercially with the new body style tundra? Are there any transmission problems or problems in the rear axle? And when I say plow commercially I mean like a parking lot for a large grocery store.
  2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Yup they plowed last year and then they realized they couldn't stop so they ended up sliding right into a brick wall and crushing their plows and totaling their trucks.

There is a guy named mercer_me that plows with one. He's pretty cool too. I believe there's a few other guys on here that plow with them but I'd say he's the most knowledgeable!
  3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I plow driveways with my 2010 Tundra and I haven't had any problems. I have a 7.5' Fisher on mine. But alot of guys run bigger plows on them and have no problems. I would strongly suggest buying one.
  4. boston41

boston41 Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know that alot of guys use toyotas to plow driveways, but do you know anyone that uses it for large scale commercial plowing? I'm talking about a parking lot for upwards of 200 parking spaces. I have read that they are comparing the transmissions in the new tundra to the transmissions in the F250 with the 5.4 engine. Even though the lot is that big, there is usually one of two more trucks at the same place all plowing together.
  5. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

I just installed my 7'6" Curtis Homepro on my 2011 Tundra doublecab. Havent used it yet but the plow came off a 2003 Tacoma and that truck didnt have any problems. I take it your from Boston. I live 60 miles south of Boston so if you ever wanted to see the plow setup in person, just get in touch.
  6. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I think it might be a while before you get true heavy abuse commercially on the Tundra. Parking Lots need to be done in speed to make money for commercial contractors which is why they use heavy duty trucks with 10' blades on them... Its also the reason you'd probably see people buying an 99-03 F250 or F350 Diesel for plowing versus a brand new truck... Cheap to Fix, easy to use roughly without regret, and has the load rating to do what needs to be done.

I'm a big fan of the new Tundras, but for a big lot, you need a bigger truck to be efficient...
  7. trevier

trevier Senior Member

I've looked at the new tundra's, my only question is can I put my boss 7.5 ft super trip edge plow on it and still plow, I only have about 20 stops all driveways nothing commercial,
  8. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I know of a few guys running them commercially without issues. It's all about the operator. Make sure the blade you choose isn't too much for the truck, and plow smart.
    Not sure of the weight on that plow, but the all the guys I know running these trucks run 7.5's of all different brands, except 1 who runs an 8' Snoway. Shouldn't be an issue for you.
  9. Summerlawn

Summerlawn Member

If anyone needs a Western mount and wiring, I have all of it off of a 2008.
  10. mercer_me

That's what I wanted to put on my Tundra but, the Boss dealer toled me it was to heavy. But now that I have sean Tundras with heavier plows than the 7.5' Boss trip edge, I'd say go for it.
  11. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

i belive i just bought a 07 tundra. gonna put my 7.5 foot curtis snopro 3000 on it. am i gonna need timbrens like my 02 f-150 needed?
  12. mercer_me

I don't run Timbrens but alot of guys do. How much does that plow weigh?
  13. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

i think its around 750 pounds
  14. mercer_me

I would sugest Timbrens if it weighs that much.
  15. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

I use my Tundra for mostly driveways and a couple small lots. We used it for bigger lots last year in a couple big storms and had no problems, it pushes snow easier than a 3/4 ton I own. Even though engine, trans and brakes makes for great plowing, the truck is a 1/2 ton that has a front axle which can only handle certain plows. I've got a 7'6" boss Standard duty that is 600 lbs. The plow is awesome and the Tundra handles it without a problem.
  16. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

One of the trucks I run is an 08 Tundra with an 8' Western Pro Plow. This truck I operate myself as it's also my personal truck. All I do is commercial plowing from small to medium size properties (up to about 2 acres), many of them storage facilities with long runs that require the snow to be pushed from one end to the other in many cases. I can tell you that I have had no issues with the trucks performance. It handles the plow weight exceptionally well and it pushes strong. I did have to install a leveling kit to raise the front end because it sits relatively low. Don't bother with Timbrens. I installed them prior to the leveling kit and they did nothing. The Tundra holds the weight pretty well and only drops about 1.5" when the plow is raised. The problem stems from the trucks front end being too low right from the factory, but the leveling kit will take care of the issue. There is one quirk. With the plow attached, the outside temperature reading is inaccurate, sometimes reading 30 + degrees warmer than it actually is. Apart from that, no issues at all. I've been vary happy and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Here's a pic:

demon wings installed 001 small.jpg
  17. mercer_me

Are you the guy that made this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43qXtNuE_vg
  18. snow patrol

Yup, but I don't think that video is supposed to be posted on this site. Hopefully its not an issue.
  19. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

thats pretty cool snow patrol
  20. snow patrol

Thanks Boss 92! Think we'll get hit as hard tonight as the forcast says?