1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Trynex Vee Pro Experience

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Andy N., Dec 20, 2002.

1. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Well, I bought one, the 8ft Vee Pro insert spreader. I tested with bulk salt one hour after installed on a slope opposite of the feed slope. I filled it all the way to the very top front to rear. Backed up the salt pile, turned it on and let it run. Different spinner speeds, different auger speeds and with the vibrator on and off. The only noticeable problem with it is NONE. Yah, the vibrator has to pretty much run constantly for it to feed salt, but isn't that what it is there for? I ran this test in front of another landscaper who swears by his gas powered v-box with 75 different moving metal parts that are trashed already after only two seasons of salting. He liked it alot to the point that he is considering bagging his pile of steel for something that has only TWO moving parts, a lifetime lubricated motor and made 75% of poly plastic.
    The next test was an ice storm. The spreader emptied out completely. Only about four granules of rock salt left in the spreader.
    For those of you who are having problems with running salt through it, it must be pretty wet salt. Are you covering your salt piles at your shop? It is imperative that you use the tarp on the spreader that comes with it to keep salt dry. For those of you running sand/salt mix, that's a whole other can of worms. I know nothing about it. Maybe mix cinders instead of salt?
    I give this product a full backing unless of course proven wrong the next time I use it.
    For now?......so far so good.
    PS: I do not work for TryNex

2. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Andy,

Nice to see you started a new thread for this topic. I will say that the new chute retro fit has corrected the salt missing the spiner. Was glad to see nearly no salt on he bumper of the truck after two loads spread. As for the feeding, and flow, I have noticed some improvement and have been running the vibrator all the time. That has helped. My dealer did ask if I was having problems because of the units he has sold about 8 of 10 users have had something bad to say about the unit. I am happier now, but still not 100% on the unit. All I would like to see is that the unit does what it says it will do. Glad to hear you have had good luck with your unit. Hope it works as good in the field as it does in your yard. Mine has been about 50/50 in the field so far, but improving.

3. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

I am in the market for a Vee Box. Have been looking at the trynex one and also the Meyers. I am interested on the Draw on the electrical system with the Trynex. I know there is no draw at all with the Gas engine meyers. But everyone is telline me to get away from the gas and get the electrical one. Well how does that hold up against the gas with the draw on the electrical system because of the weight of the product and what about the gas it has no problem keeping up with the duty cycle... please help me make up my mind i am new to salting and sanding and would like to make the right choice the frist time... what is easier to use?

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Golfmanres,You should pm Dino (plowking) He has both gas and electric not the trynex one but he loves his electric one .

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I sold both my gas spreaders this year and bought one new smith electric. Your plow pulls over 200 amps at full draw, the spreader only draws 27 amps, at start up, once things are rolling( about 2-4 secs) amp draw is negligable. No gas no maint. to worry about. Both of mine are stainless, so nothing to rot away either. I had the option of Honda gas power or electric, and I went with the electric, they are also very effiecient on material as well.
    See related topic regarding my older unit.
    Dino

6. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

dino, could you tell me what model you bought i will need something that will fit a short bed so maybe a 7' or 6' model. and also is yours auger (sp?) or belt?

7. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's a neat thing I discovered about the Trynex design. It makes a great Magic Salt mixer. Mine is a 1875 sand-pro, but the V 's are the same with the auger feeding the spinner. I've been filling the spreader with regular bulk rock salt, then I just pour a gallon and 1/2 of liquid magic over the top ( that's about 6 gallon/ton). What happens is the liquid filters down thru the salt, and any excess settles in the auger bay, so when it's turned on the salt and excess are mixed together and the salt that first goes thru the auger would have the least amount of magic in it. From what I can tell by looking at the salt that's been spread it mixes fairly evenly ( I just walked along a lot I salted after plowing while the surface was still white, and eyed how brown the salt looked) You will get some liquid seeping out of the auger chute and onto the spinner after a couple of hours of letting it sit, but it's the lack of liquid running out that impressed me, and the time saved in mixing is worth wasting a little of the liquid.

Bill

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill,that is a nice way to mix your saft,must save a lot of time.Id rather do it that way than mix the whole pile with a loader,like I do now.

9. John DiMartino

I just bought a trynex today VP8000,will pick it up tomorrow or Saturday,if the storm keeps me busy. I got the 8000,going to put it in my short bed Dodge. I was going to get the 6000,but the V-box is only like 4 ft long,my loader is 6 ft,what a mess that would be.I took a tape measure and measured my truck,and then the 8000,the unit will set in the back perfectly,the spinner shied will clear the bumper by 2" ,so it could only go in 2 more " if i had an 8 ft bed.Thats Ok with me.Ive run my bradford 8 ft V in the Dodge with no problems and its longer than the 8000 by 7".I dont know what these things go for,but I got a good deal if CPW's prices are any indication.cant wait to pick it up,and try it now.Ive needed an extra V box,this last storm really brought to light how important it is to have the spreader on site,your application window is small in a blizzard to apply,and it dont help when your only truck with a V box is stuck in a lot 4 miles away.Ill give feedback as soon as i get it on,my dealer sold 4 ,and all have been happy so far.

10. nsmilligan

John if you try my method of mixing magic salt, pour the liquid magic over the salt well before you frist turn on the spreader, I pour mine over when I load the salt, I tried pouring it on and spreading right a way, but it wasn't completly mixed.

Bill

11. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey John, could you post some pics when you get that mounted in your short bed Dodge. I am very interested in what you think of it in that truck.

12. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

although i have a chevy short bed i would also love to see picts. i am in the market still to get a salter for my truck. please post picts when you get it installed

13. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Trynex V

We just got done with our second storm of the season. 8 inches of heavy wettness. We are currently using Trynex 1075 tail gate spreaders. We have contracted with our local county DOT to clear county subdivisions. THEY provide us with the salt in 50# bags. It works OK but they want us to think about buying larger spreaders so they can just load us out of their huge bulk supply. I'm really interested in getting this new Trynex 8000. I'm looking forward to feed back from you guys using them right now. I'm planning on ordering one in 2 weeks when those BIG:D checks come. Thanks for the input.

14. John DiMartino

I just got in from plowing 14" more of snow.I was supposed to get my spreader today,dealer never called,kinda wondering whats going on.ill find out monday.Bill I will try you method of mixing the salt,sounds good to me,mix as needed.Only bad thing is the loader bucket doesnt get coated with magic residue,ill have to coat it when im done.Pine island, Ill post a pic,or send it you when i get a chance. .Golfmanres, I have a bradford SS 8 ft v box in my shortbed GMC now,it fits fine.It will fit better in the GM's than the Dodge,the Dodge short box is shorter than the GM's by about 3".Beleive it or not you can tell the difference,the v box's rear mount just catches the bed on the dodge,and its 3" from the edge of the bed on the GMC.

15. nsmilligan

Another thing I have noticed with the Trynex. If I fill it with salt the nite before, and plow a couple of lots that don't want to be salted, that sometimes when I turn the salter on it will register a overload warning (auger jam). The trick is to make sure the vibrator is on, the salt settles tightly against the auger, and the vibrator causes enough motion to free it.

Bill

16. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

How much are you guys paying for the VP 8000?

17. John DiMartino

I got mine installed yesterday.it fits great,the dealer even was impressed with how good it fits in the short bed.I got a few pics of it,but they are to big to post here,if anyone knows how to compress them,ill send them give your e mail address.

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'll take the pics and fix them up if you want.Wouldn't mind taking a peek.Was out doing a search for a few new blowers today and my dealer is going to be bringing in the Vee Pro,so I might have to give one a try if you guys are happy with it.

wyldman@idirect.com

19. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Here it is

image235 (2).jpg

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here is the first pic of John's new salter,nice truck too !

small john\'s winter 2003 021.jpg