1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truckside install... no marker lights/signals on plow???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mkwl, Dec 16, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hi all-

My dad and I just got in from installing a new truckside kit (from centralparts) on my diesel. Except for the fact that they forgot to include the 3 port iso mod (so I had to go out and buy one at my local dealer to make it work- will take this up with central parts tomorrow), it went relatively well, until we went to hook it up. All the functions worked fine for about 30 seconds, then the marker lamps on the truck as well as the turn signals both went out simultaneously. The headlights (hi/low beams) on the plow work fine, and the turn signals on the truck work fine, but there are no turn signals/markers at all on the plow. the plow functions itself (up/down/left/right) all work fine (knock on wood). The wierd thing is, after I unplugged it then plugged it in again they both "flashed" on for a split second. After trying this a few more times nothing happened at all. All fuses are good- connections seem good. What is puzzling us is why they would both go on/off at the exact same time, leading is to think it's something to do with the iso mod (3 port), not so much a bad connection.

Any thoughts? Anyone have an issue with central parts not including everything in one of these kits before? I opened up the box, and everything for a 3 port mod install was there, except for the mod itself :mad: ).

Sound like a dead iso mod?

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Does it have anything to do with the DRLs?

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Also- with the truck turned off (no key in the ignition), if I go to "unlock" it with the keyfob, the lights on the plow blink with the truck's lights. Likewise, if I turn on the 4-ways with the truck off, the plow markers flash as they should. But, as soon as I turn the truck on, they lose function (no parking lights/turn signals/4ways). So I guess I can rule out a bad connection/fuse issue? Maybe I just have a bum iso mod?

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

We didn't hook up the DRL's (it's an option as per the directions), but I doubt it because the DRL's wouldn't come on anyway because we did all of this at night (DRL's wouldn't be active). Thanks or the suggesiton though.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Could the DRL's be causing me an issue? The perplexing thing is.. as soon as I power up the truck.. the markers/turns stop working.. hmmmm....

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

First off, Congrats on the new equipment! Thumbs Up

The above is not a correct assumption. (Is ISO dead?)

I know you've already gone over this, but humor me and check the following locations again thoroughly. Rip it apart and do it over again. Pull the splices apart and do them again, replace the fuses even if they "appear" to be ok, and unplug and replug the reversible plug adapter. Re connect the harnesses into the ISO. Inspect your routing to ensure you didn't pinch the harnesses.

After all of this, grab your handy dandy 12 volt tester and test the appropriate pins in the harnesses coming into the ISO with the turn signals on (not the hazards) with the plow hooked up and the truck on. Track it down via power and ground. If there is juice on the incoming side, go to the out going side.....if it goes in....but doesn't go out, then you can blame the ISO. But if doesn't go into it to begin with......

iso.jpg

iso.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  7. RepoMan207

from Maine

....I'm going out on a limb here as I'm just learning the technical stuff behind this, but I think there is two different sets of functions, meaning when the truck is off, but the lights are turned on, the power to the park lights are supplied directly from the battery, but once the truck is turned on, the power is routed through the normal lighting system, and is controlled as such.....

As far as functionality; if the trucks park / turns work without the plow, then my previous post is the way to track down your issue.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Where exactly did you connect your red keyed ignition wire into the truck?

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

We connected it via crimp connector to the "small stud" at the lower left hand corner of the "large empty fuse/relay port" on the drivers' side fuse panel (inside the drivers' side door). THe fuse "block" labeled: M-LT DR- 12 WAY- BLK- A.

The control comes on and functions fine when the truck is powered up, just the ambers that don't work.

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks!

We re-did the splices just to be sure- my Dad didn't want to actually "cut" the wires on the truck, so he sliced back some of the insulation on the truck, "wrapped" the plow wires to be tapped into the truck's turn/parking lights, around the stripped back truck wires, then soldered over the connection and heat-shrinked them. I'm thinking if it were the splices that the turns would not work at all (no flashing when using the trucks clicker/4ways with the truck off), no?

Does the plow need to be on the truck when doing that testing to get an accurate reading?

11. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yes, the truck lights all work fine (even when hooked to the plow, the truck's turn/running lights still come on, just not on the plow). It's like the plow just isn't getting its ambers turned on when the truck is on... strange :eek:

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Update:

I am able to get the running lights to come on if I start the truck and switch the lights (in the cab) to the "off" position, then up to parking lights or headlights. The problem comes in when I go to put the 4 ways on, OR the Passengers' turn signal. When I do this, I get one "blink" out of the passengers' side plow light, then the ambers on both sides of the plow (markers and parking) are out until I shut the lights off and start the above procedure over again. I am able to make this happen multiple times, thinking it's not a fuse/wiring issue I have...

Thoughts?

13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I am able to get the plow markers to come on IF I start the truck, even in auto mode, and don't turn on 4-ways or the passengers' side turn signal. As soon as I turn one of those on, the markers on both sides go out, and I can only get them to come back on if I shut the truck off and start the process over again. All is fine until I go to the right turn signal or 4-ways. So, it would seem that it's something to do with the passengers' side light.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

That's odd....my first reaction would be that one of the turn signals was spliced to the wrong wire

Yes, the truck does need to be hooked to the plow. Again, if my understanding is correct, the power is not coming from the turn / parks at that point....if I'm correct, that would also explain WHY they mess up from the point that you activate them.....

You need to correctly splice all 3 of those wires...cut them, and butt connect them per the direction. Your not going to get a solid connection any other way. This is most likely your issue. Make sure they are on the correct wires as well. PURPLE is for the turn signals and BROWN is for the Park lights. Insure that you're using the correct wire to the trucks park / turns as well, it's easy to follow the correct wire, and mess it up at the last second.

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My Dad and I are going to go through the whole thing again when he gets home from work.

Also- the truck was DEAD when I went out to start it this morning- I had to use a tractor-trailer jumper box to get it started (computer was doing all sorts of scary things- lights/gages going crazy, etc). Is it possible that a fault in the iso mod or the solenoid could be causing the truck to die overnight? Or is it likely the batteries are just weak?

Anyone else have a thought on the turn/parking amber lights (on the plow) fault? My dad is convinced we did everything correctly and it must be something defunct with the iso module.... :confused:

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

It's not the ISO.

I think I know where Mike was going with this.....

I attempted to find a fuse chart for your truck but couldn't find one. Is your present source on a switched power or constant?

When your dad isn't looking, cut those connections at the park / turn lights and then connect them the right way. I'm thinking this is your issue to begin with.

As far as the dead battery....Make sure your solenoid is setup right. The only other thing that would cause that is an open circut...a wrongly spliced wire could even cause that.

relay.jpg

relay.jpg

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's at least part of your problem Matt. Move you wire down to the MIB BUSS panel under the dash. Locate it in the socket in the very top left hand corner of the panel. Use a test light to find the correct terminal out of the 5 (or 6) located in that socket. Two will be constant battery power, one will be ground, one will be hot in run and crank positions, and one will be hot in run and accessory positions.

Use the one that shows up as only being hot in the run and accessory positions. It should be one of the two very top pins in the socket.

18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

The present source is switched with the ignition (on with the key). It is the same place we hooked up my brake controller in my other truck to.

We re-did the connections- still to no avail, actually, now we just get a brief "flash" when we turn on the running lights, they both turn off, no directionals on the plow.

We checked the solenoid- all seems to be correct- I'm thinking my playing with the lights while not having the truck running (stupid me) killed the battery. Truck is running now- voltages seem to be where they should when operating the plow.

We're still thinking it must be the iso- because all the wiring is right, and the fuses are all good, everytime I go to turn on the running lights, we get a "flash" from both, and that's it.

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Where is this panel located under the dash (drivers/pass side, center, etc?)? My dad doesn't think this is the issue because everything else works 100% (plow control, plow headlights- hi and lo, and all the lights on the truck are fine) except the marker/turn signals, and only the ones on the plow give us trouble.

The source I'm in now is switched with the ignition (control is off when key is off, and visa versa)- what could cause it to throw off the plow lights?

We're new to this (obviously)- he's convinced that our tie-ins for the wires aren't the issue- he doesn't want to cut the wires to splice, he's convinced we're getting a good connection (sliced the wire cover back about 1/2", wound the other wire around it lengthwise, and soldered over it).

The weird thing is, we get the lights to come on for a split second, then they're off, and the only way to get them to go back on is to turn the knob back to the off position, then turn it up to the running light position, where we will get a split second "flash" from both of the plow amber lights.

20. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

For now (since my mother is about ready to kill me for spending so much time on this so far), is it safe to assume that the non-functioning directionals won't screw up the headlights or the plow functions (since they're working with no problems)?

Until I'm able to go through everything with an extra-fine toothed comb...