1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new trucks

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jce4isu, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i got 2 trucks 2004 f250 5.4 xlt rubber floors 160k i bought them for $3200.00 each i will get pics asap

im a chevy guy how is the 5.4 mpg anything i should watch out for
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Watch out for broken Dodges on the road ,you don't want to scratch those ford!
  3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

5.4 doesnt get great mileage probably around 13 mpg's.. fairly reliable engines with not too much to worry about besides the exhaust manifolds.
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Not too much to worry about....just GM and Dodge's out pushin' and pullin' you!:D Good buys though!:salute:
  5. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

when it quits raining i will get pics

btw i can get more in a month the come from a constr co
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not looking to start a war here, but if you're used to Chevy gas engines, that truck is going to seem pretty numb. I've got a friend with the same truck and engine. We swapped for a while one day. Couldn't believe how it went, and I think those exhausts sound awful. He even thinks the truck is numb.
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The 5.4 isn't going to win a race or have alot of power...but they seem to be reliable motors overall
  8. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Till you blow a spark plug out the head and burn your truck to the ground. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/03/ford_spark_plug_fire.html

For 3200 each though for a 2004 as long as its not written off I could almost be persuaded to buy one.
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Spark plug issues was fix in 2003-2004.

That first time I have heard spark plug cause fire until that guy was stubborn and keep drive to home instead pull on road when you hear strange noise.

My friend have 98 F250 with 5.4L he have exact problem but it never set fire.

5.4L are design for high rpm that mean you need hit 4,000 for more torque. They are different from OVH engine. They are DOHC.

Buy that trucks from construction company. I would be worry. They beat hard on it. Like they stolen.
    I would inspect to make sure it good before you buy it.
  10. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

On the other hand hes only paying 1/3 of what it would usually cost so even if they are beaten silly its probaly not that bad of a deal. Post pics soon
  11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

spark plugs only blow out if you do not pay attention to what you are doing when you change them.
    there are torque specification on the plugs for a reason. under 11 ft lbs, the plugs will loosen up and blow out. over 17 ft lbs, you take a good chance of ripping the threads out of the heads and the plugs blow out.

use the recomended torque setting of 14-15 ft lbs, the plugs will stay in, and the engine will last forever. .