1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nick4634, Oct 23, 2013.

1. nick4634

nick4634 Member

Went to the chevy dealer today to look at new trucks. Trying to replace my 2000 F250. Priced out a 2500 reg cab ls with 8 hd for 32000 which seemed high after i spent some time going over the truck. Surface rust starting on the frame and diff cover. Bed flexed bad when i knocked on it. Any body have any input on haow the new body style holds up and if that price is reasonable.

2. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Just got 2 2013 gmcs 4x4 with almost no options for 26k ea.

3. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

I am looking at the ram 2500 but not sure if I want to put out the money.

4. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

All new trucks are like tin foil , if you work your truck hard it will not hold up well . Thats why I go Chassis cab and flatbed.

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Tin Foil >>>> X2 On That Comment

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Grappone Ford should be able to put you in a well equipped 2013 F250 XL with a 9.6 Fisher XV-2 for 37 out the door. I got mine there January 3 ('12 leftover) with the 9.6 xv for $36,500. It has cloth, power, trailer brake controller, plow prep, 10K gvw, 3:73 electronic locker, electronic shift on the fly 4x4, cab lights, and the Fx4 package. It returns 18 mpg on the highway, and 20 on the back roads if I try for it. It does about 10 mpg plowing.
    It pushes the 9.6 V plow like nothing.
    I put 4K down, got it $100 under invoice, and all rebates and incentives...and 0% financing. How can ya beat that?

Just saying.

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Now thats a deal! :eek:

8. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

What is ur monthly payment?

9. Buswell Forest

from NH

Mine?

$542.

10. bswalks

bswalks Member

That's a great deal, thanks for the info.
    I've been checking their website, & it showed their no hassle pricing, which was crazy, way more than you paid.
    I really want to try the new 6.2, & dump the bow tie. Maybe I'll look into it further.

11. Buswell Forest

from NH

Call them on the 29th or 30th this week. End of the month is the best time to get a deal. Tell them you want a truck @ invoice. Tell them you want it with a 9.6 Fisher XV2. If you have $4k or more down, they will work like crazy to get you to sign.

12. norcoprop

norcoprop Junior Member

I have a 2013 2500 HD wt regular cab eight foot box. I am not impressed with the sheet metal, dents and dings very easy for a $48,000 truck with 8'6" extreme v stainless plow included in that price. 13,000 miles to date and the bed rails look like I had a fit and took a ball peen to it repeatedly, and we try to be careful with our equipment.Just rest your elbow and try to pick a trimmer out of the bed and you have a new dent. The 6.0 is pretty sleepy in hills and you really have to put your foot in the firewall to get a down shift, then you feel as if a rod is going to come flying out of the hood. The transmission (I think) has a whine like a dry power steering pump,need to get to the dealer soon about that. I don't know, always liked Chevy but i came out of a 2009 f250 with the 6.4 Powerstroke to this, might be heading back to Ford in a couple years. But other than these issues the truck is doing ok.

13. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

We've been looking at new 3/4 and 1 ton trucks the last few months too. Not sure when we're going to buy. We're waiting for the right time to buy it out right so we don't have any payment at all. Our current truck is paid for and in great condition with less then 47K miles on it. So we're going to be in good shape when we do buy. We'll probably order the truck we want.

One thing we've noticed about the GMC/Chevy's is that sheet metal seems thinner then the others, especially the box sides. My buddy also complains about putting his elbows on his box sides of his new GMC and having new dents.

norcoprop, does your truck have 3.73 or 4.10 gears?

NYH1.

14. norcoprop

norcoprop Junior Member

It has the 3:73 gears. I miss the bed rails of the Ford, Plastic caps that
    never dented

15. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Thanks. I went with the 3.92's over the 3.55's in my current Ram 1500 and I'm glad I did. It came with 275/60-20 (33x11) Goodyear Wrangler HP wheels & tires which were the worse tires I've ever had on a 4x4. I sold them and went with factory 17 wheels. Now I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 285/70-17 (33x11.5) and it pulls them really good and they're awesome.

When I do step up to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck I'm definitely going with 4.10 gears for sure.

NYH1.

16. norcoprop

norcoprop Junior Member

A buddy of mine has a 2012 Chevrolet 3500 dump with the 4:10's he says that one is all over the place as far as the rpm's cant find a happy medium and in steep grades with a cord of wood he has to drop into 1'st gear in order to make it. Just does not seem to be a happy medium. My 2010 extra cab on the other hand has all the power one would ever need and that is the 6.0 also not sure of the ratio though
    Norco

17. Buswell Forest

from NH

My 2012 F250 has the 3:73 gearset. The only gas engine offered is the 6.2, and let me tell you, it's a potent combo. I had thought back when I started searching that I would want the optional 4:30 gears. But now...I couldn't imagine a need for that. And the mileage would suffer for no good reason.
    My advice, don't go lower than 3:73 in a 3/4 ton with a 400 hp V8. You don't need it.

What you DO WANT is the electronic shift on the fly 4x4 option. Turn a knob (or flip a switch). Pulling a lever isn't the worst, but having to lock the hubs in and out sucketh.

18. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'll take pulling the lever and locking the hubs any day of the week over any electronic shift, no matter what brand of truck it is.

19. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Cat >>> I am with you on this one.

20. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

If he had 3.73's it'd be worse. In a heavy dumper like that, 4.30's might make sense.

NYH1.