1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by T-Trim, Feb 15, 2010.

1. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

We going to start looking for a new truck for spraying during the cutting season. And something for the winter season for spreading and de icing. Question is does anybody know what the chassis on a tow truck is? I just haven't seen something that short at the dealership. Is that a special order item. We think it would be a great truck for plowing too

2. Brian in MO

Brian in MO Junior Member
    from NE MO

A company I used to work for would always buy reg cab /cab-chasis Dodges the wheel base was the same as a 8' bed. We would then put a 9' x 7'6" flat bed on them ( the cab-chasis uses a narrower rearend than a pickup bed so 7'6" worked good for width). We put a 36" belly box between the rear wheels and the cab, as I remember nothing bigger would fit. My point is I think they were as short of a wheel base as you can get and the narrower rearend helps in getting around tight spots also. I'm pretty sure this is what wrecker bodies are put on also.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Most of what I've seen are 1 ton cab and chassis, however if buying new you can get a regular pickup 1 ton, 3/4 ton, whatever and theres an option to delete the bed, giving you the length of a 8' bed pickup.

4. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

So the chassis on a 1 ton wrecker isn't anything special. It just seem to look pretty short. I was driving into the office this morning and at a red light. I was looking at a tow truck. And took note at how short it looked. And since we are looking in the spring for a new truck. I was thinking that this would be the answer. Short wheel base perfect for plowing and salting. And in the warmer months perfect for our fert app's too.

5. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Short...like this??

[​IMG]

You can get these little rug rats in a 109" wheelbase. They're like 1+ ton go carts..

:D

6. Westhardt Corp.

(and they're cheeeeeeeeeap)

7. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

No thanks. I guess the 1ton truck delete the bed . Now I see it the wrecker ends at the rear wheel . where as a normal P/U end another 2 or so feet after that. Are the frames cut off to make the fit. Or is it a special frame for the tow truck?

8. Westhardt Corp.

A chassis cab will have straight frame rails, whereas a pickup will have contoured rails for the bed. You could use either. In the case of the pickup, you could easily lop off the rear rails, but you might consider adding a crossmember. Usually the fuel tanks are forward of the drive axle, so it shouldn't be an issue.

9. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

but don't they put the 2nd tank behind the rearend?

10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Ford F450 and F550 can get as short as 141" wb and a rear tank.

F250 and F350 are at 137" wb. You can go with a bed delete with either, but if you do a chassis cab in the F350 you'll get the straight frame rails.

Just my .02¢

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  11. Westhardt Corp.

If it has one, yes. But, you can simply omit it.

12. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Looking at a 1 ton chevy/gmc. I would hate to omit the 2nd tank.

13. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Dual tanks are only available in the diesel for Fords.

14. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I know checy/gmc have 2 tanks even in the gas ones too. basiclly the wrecker trucks only have one tank with shorter then normal frames? Is that what I'm hearing. I mean I haven't looked at a tow truck up in person to measure and see what the wb is and what the body on one looks like. But from what I saw. I think it would make a great truck for what we need this spring and in the future. All the eq we buy pretty much stays with us. once it become totally useless we hold on to it for replace parts. Thats what UPS does from what I know of. some places around us keep there dump bodys or chipper boxes and sell off just the chassis installing the old bodies on new trucks.

15. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

16. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

I used to build tow trucks,

the standard bodies went onto with i beleive 140-155" wheel base range , they are a standard size for an 8' bed. i used to install century bodies,for these and most other wrecker bodies with wheel lifts the frame rails are cut just past the leaf spring shackles. the wrecker body and it`s brackets added support and helps support the weight and frame rails.. if the second fuel tank is behind the axle between the rails it has to be removed or relocated for the wrecker bodies.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  17. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

On a wrecker, I think they put the axle closer to the back of the truck. I had a 3500HD and they had a wrecker option, because when I got parts they always asked if it was a wrecker. The truck was a 91 and they might not do that now.

18. Westhardt Corp.

I would assume it was relevant to the frame end treatment and fuel tank positioning, as most chassid cabs have a rear mounted tank.

Oh, and for reference, most standard cab longbed trucks are aroung 130"-137" wheelbase.

19. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

So they might not have a wrecker opt for 2009 or 2010 models?

20. Westhardt Corp.

No, I'm sure they do. But I don't think you'll need a wrecker-spec is you're just looking for a short truck. Find a used reg cab/long bed, take the bed off, shorten the rails and put a flat bed on it. Wheelbase will be in the 130's, which is pretty short, although it's no Bronco. Or find one of those 109" go karts I mentioned earlier. That's as good as it gets in maneuverability.