1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smith2287, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

Hi guys,

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a new truck to replace my 06 gas hemi. I was looking a f350 diesel and they gave me like 9000 off of the sticker. My gas truck is great but I would love the extra power of a diesel. So of the three major companies which diesel would you guys choose. Also was thinking about eaither a V or the wideout on this truck instead of the stright blade. Any info would be real helpful,

-Corey

2. Kunker

Kunker Member

Most trucks nowadays are close enough in fit/finish/performance that it's more which one you can stand spending hours on hours plowing in, in my opinion. I personally would prefer a straight axle to IFS, but the Duramax/Allison combo is pretty sweet.

3. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

you are opening a can of worms here... so instead of just yelling GM is the best or ford is the best, can everone just give 3 reasons why the made the choice they did?

We drive GM (both GMC & chevy) with the duramax's. Why? I'm not sure... we have a good relationship with the dealer, but they closed up last year... that's why I would like to know why pick what you pick...

4. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

that is definitely not the case.

go Chevy or Ford, Dodge's are garbage.

5. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Can you explain why?
    Motor (cummins) no good?
    Electical no good?
    Tranny, suspension, what about Dodge is garbage?

6. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with a cummins dodge - a. they look better than the fords ans chevys b. the cummins in unbeatable

7. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

i think the Cummins is a great engine, but the construction of Dodge trucks are just pitiful. Frames are inferior, and the trucks just can't handle the any heavy duty applications.

JMO

8. KCLawnTamer

KCLawnTamer Member
    from Kansas

I am a FORD guy so you would think you would know my answer.. But a few things to think about.. I love ford trucks for the rock tough torq-shift trannys they have now.. The 6.4 is next to trouble free unlike the 6.0 diesels.. T-cases and diffs are tough with plenty of brakes on them.. All you have to do is like the price..

Now to talk the bad word.. DODGE I do like the cummins.. Inline = long lasting.. I have a buddy that has a cab and chassis that isnt all that bad at all.. Straight axle new regen cummins with a six speed.. He owns a duramax truck with a allison and when ever we pull anything he takes the dodge.. He doesnt like the IFS... So I would look at prices and if you can get a dodge cheaper and you like the interior, go for it... I would recommend either or.. Thats saying alot from a FORD guy..:waving:

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we have had all trucks from all of the big three. so i will give you my reasons for picking the f350 srw diesel we just bought

#1 built like a tank+solid front axle (was disappointed in the ifs of gm, we have an 02 2500HD)

#2 the fit/finish+options that are available on the lariat package, unbelievable

#3 after test driving each of the other 2 options, i felt that this one would be the best fit for US, not anyone else, so saying this, go and test drive each one and see what you like best.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, I'm a Dodge guy.

I've had a GMC, and 2 Fords in 20 years in business.

I've had a 94, 95, 96 Dodge 1500.

I've had a 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and currently run (2) 2006 Dodge 2500.

I also just bought a new 2007 Dodge 3500 cab and chassis quad cab with a 9' dump.

I had a '98 GMC 2500, an '88 Ford F350 cab and chassis, a '90 F250, and a '99 F350 dually.

The '99 F350 was a powerstroke that would never start if the temp was below 30 degrees, not good for plowing, even with it being plugged in, using ether, we would have to put the chargers on the batteries and crank for about 10 - 15 minutes, even with cycling the glow plugs.

The '98 GMC had the brake booster go out at 39,000 miles and was not replaced under warranty. This vehicle was a lease and at 60k miles I returned it, with no other repairs.

The '94 Dodge 1500, the rear end went out at 70k miles, but I would attribute that to me doing brake stands with the mowing trailer (20 years old thinking I was cool).

The '95 Dodge 1500 we put a new tranny in it at 150k miles, but used that truck for 8 years plowing with an 8' Western straight blade.

I'm a Dodge guy, because like someone else posted, we had a great relationship with the dealer. They replaced front u-joints under warranty even when it was obvious they were tore out because of plowing.

However, like the other post, our dealer closed a month or so ago.... soooooo???

We don't plug our Cummins in. This weekend we had temps -20 and highs at -5. My truck sat for 2 days, and I went out, let the glow plugs cycle 1 time and the truck fired right up.

In the summer time I pull a 24' enclosed trailer for lawn maintenance.

I have no reason to look at other trucks, and I even mow the GMC, Chevy and Ford dealers. Yet the Dodge dealer gave me the best price.

I guess it's like the banks I do. I plow / mow 8 banks and bank at one I don't do any work for. :D

11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

another really good point, get the truck that you can afford within your means that you are most comfortable with.

me? the dodges were way too much $$ for what i was getting. i thought this was weird b/c it was always said that you get the most bang for the buck. they offered me an 08 2500 quad cab short bed diesel with big horn package for $46,XXX i thought that was absolutely ridiculous when i could get the fully loaded 350 lariat for 44K out the door. all the big horn package is, sat. radio, cloth spill proof seats, and just a few other stuff, far from being "fully loaded" but that was just my area.

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

That's list price here.

I know of guys that bought those same trucks for $30k, they were advertised in the paper that way.

I paid $31,000 for my 2007 Dodge 3500, quad cab, diesel, 4x4, WITH the 9' dump box. It listed for $51,000. That was 2 months ago. This was at the same time the ads for the 2008 2500's were running in the paper. I was looking for a 3rd plow truck, and wanted to buy new, and ended up going the route I did, because it's more versatile, rather than having a 3rd pickup around.

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

lets see some pics of your truck pro touchgrounds. The superdutys are badass, might be my next truck

14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

nevermind I found some pics of your truck. Its nice. I have a 04 duramax. We need to see some pics of your ford in action. One of these years ill put up pics of my truck

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i have had two 1st generation dodges (w-250's) 1 2nd generation (2500 diesel 6 speed) and have a 3rd gen now (2500 diesel quad cab shortbed) and not 1 have had any problems other than maintance. and every one has had a plow hanging off the front. how are dodge frames junk? poor enginnering? i can think of soooo many problems ford has had with poor enginnering its not even funny. well sorry about the rant but i am sick of people calling things junk when they have no proof to back it up!

16. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

Thanks guys for all ther replies, after reading all your thoughts I went online and looked at the major three and it seems to me the best deal is in chevy right now in my area. I drove the ford 350 and it is a awesome truck but very big and seems like it would be a pig on diesel. I want to drive the chevy before I make the call but the chevy seems like best deal for me right now. The truck is a little bit smaller but still large enough for me to drive everyday.

I will keep you informed with what I decide to do,

-Corey

17. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I just bought a new Ford, Delivery should be next week. I really wanted a Chevy, more comfortable ride bigger cab better mileage and better looking. Conflicting reports from GM dealers but this is what I was told. Any Duramax with plow will void warranty. Any excab or cewcab w/ plow will void warranty (even if it has plow prep pack).only GM that can plow w/out warranty issues is gas stand cab. Every dealer except one said they would take care of me w/ warranty issues unless it was related to plow (tranny, u joints, front end). I do have an 01 2500hd Duramax ex cab with 8' fisher. Loved it when I was in it every day, small probs. with tranny harness driving through deep snow and injectors which they redesigned.
    Dodges, I own a few of 94,98 & 98 cummins have done tranny's in all of them, My tranny guy says they are known for it.
    Ford Currently I'm in the 06 F-350 w/ 6.0 diesel 112,000 miles probably the least amount of problems that I have ever had with any of my trucks. @ 92k had bad injector and at 99k had a problem w/ oil in water (forget cause but was very minor, thick white smoke would come and go) but it was not the head gasket. Have a lot of Fords and GM's, Ford is more expensive, but I think it is a better built truck.
    I decided to go gas with new truck because the diesel is so expensive. If the diesel would get 12mpg and the gas only got 10 mpg I would save $830.00 for every 15,000 mile I put on the truck, because the diesel is always about 1.00 more per gallon. And from what i have seen on here the 12mpg for the diesel is being generous. I don't do a ton of towing, which is the only time I think you would notice a big difference. I know a lot of people will disagree with me and say a diesel will out push a gas job, maybe in a 24" storm, but who waits for it to get that deep.
    As for plows, all mine are Fisher (15) this new truck I'm trying the XLS, I can't wait to see if that does evertyhing they say it will.
    Gas Ford xlt super cab $28500
    Diesel Ford " " " $34800
    XLS Fisher $6300

18. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

If you don't have a brand preference than buy whichever truck you can get the best deal/warranty on. As far as the plow goes, I have 3 blizzard power plows which I think are absolutely perfect for commercial work. I also have a hiniker c-plow for the residential plowing. I don't like having to use the c-plow for commercial and likewise for the blizzards.

19. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

Right now I don't reallly have a brand in mind so to speak. However I will only use western plows because I am very close witht the local installer. I can't see myself getting anything other than products he sells. He is a western and boss dealer only so I have always had western products.

20. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Dodge for me!! 182,800 miles on 99 2500. Broke an outer tie rod end the other day. That is it. Has a five speed, stock clutch, and a cummins. Always starts and seems totally bullet-proof. I run timbrens front and rear. I prefer the front axle to IFS. My EXV plow is 900# and with wings on it is 1050#. Have seen a lot of plow clearance issues with Chevy in the Fisher Forum. No problems with Dodge or Ford. My truck has no creature comforts (fleet style) and I like it that way. I have worked with it since new in my construction company and have plowed with it for three seasons. I am sure one day it will give out. This truck has had a hard life, but one thing remains constant-it works hard and keeps going like me