1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JPMAKO, Oct 1, 2006.

1. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

I ordered a 2007 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax 4x4 cab and chassis that is going to have an 8' dump body put on it as soon as it arrives at the dealer. Supposedly it is going to be coming in in about two weeks. What size plow do you guys recommend for this truck? It is going to be used in mostly commercial sites but will also be doing some residential driveways.

Thanks for any input,
    Jason

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

13 or 14 footer...no j/k a 9' would be perfect

3. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

DBL,

I was thinking a 12' would be a perfect fit. Just big enough for the commercial accounts but I can probably just squeeze it into my residentials.
    I would guess that I will need to get timbrens too and about 2000 pounds of ballast.

Seriously I was thinking a 9' Fisher what do you think?

Jason

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah an 8 1/2 would cover the wheelbase and a 9' would be the perfect size not too big either

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

With dual rear wheels (I assume) and that long a wheelbase I would go with no less than a 8.5' blade just to cover my wheel tracks on turns. Ultimately I would try to go with a 9.5' Extreme V (or 8.5 if I had places where the 9.5 wouldn't physically fit).

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I didnt think they even made 3500hds anymore. A Blizzard 810 is perfect for a 3500, if it is indeed a 3500hd on 19.5s I'd go with a Blizzard 8611. No question about it. Then I would go get some lots and forget about doing driveways with it. Just too big for driveways.

7. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

The truck is a 3500 Duramax/Allison 4x4 w/ 8' mason dump
    I purchased this instead of a 4500 because I need something that can fit in driveways.
    My route consists of approximately 140 residential and only about 5 commercial sites.
    So when this truck is done with commercial it needs to be able to fit in whatever driveways are left on the route. I am leaning toward a 9' Fisher HD because of the dual wheels. I am not getting a blizzard nor any V-plow as they are just not practical for my applications. I am thinking that a 8 1/2 is too small???

Jason

8. Detroitdan

If it's a cab and chassis you have the narrow rearend, an 8.5 will be okay, but 9 is better. You'll never carry anything bigger on a 3500. If you havent tried it, dont knock the Blizzard. Check out their website and see what they can do. You may void your warranty pretty easy because the Dmax takes up so much of your front axle gvw, it doesnt leave much for a plow. The 810 is pretty close in price to the 9 foot straight blade.

9. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You may struggle somewhat on driveways no matter what size blade you put on it, so I would opt for a 9' Fisher X-Blade or 9.5' Xtreme V if that's what you're into.

10. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I find that my Blizzard 810 really shines on the residential stuff payup

11. Detroitdan

me too, because it's only an eight foot straight blade when you need it to be.

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would go 9.5 if you could...gotta check the weight though. 9 would work be perfect for that truck but me...go BIG! :rolleyes:

13. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I would go with a boss 9'2" V with wings, that way you can put the wings on for commercial and then have them off for residential.

14. Antnee77

from RI

You could run an 8.5, a 9, or a 9.5 if you wanted, but I wouldn't want to plow many driveways with the 9.5', IMO.

15. Fergy42286

Fergy42286 Member

I have a 9' x blade on my 3500, but I only have the 6.0 gas. Due to the weight of the deisel they more than likely won't install it. So it looks like an HD unless you plan on cash and carry.

16. Antnee77

from RI

Cash and Carry is the way to go anyways. I say go for a 9' X Blade if you want a straight blade and a 9.5' V-Blade if you want V.

17. HOOBS PRO PLUS

HOOBS PRO PLUS Member
    from NW PA

Lighting

Nice pic. Do you have any warning lighting on that truck and if so where did you put it. thanks in advance.

18. HOOBS PRO PLUS

HOOBS PRO PLUS Member
    from NW PA

Warning Lighting

Does anyone have any suggestions for warning lighting on a 05 3500 4x4 dump tk with 8.5 Pro Plus straight blade.

19. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Hey

Hey I Would Go With A 9 Foot Fisher X Balde Or A 9 Foot Western

20. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

hey

Hey i would go with a 9 foot fisher ss X balde or a 9 foot western pro plus