1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I am about to buy a new 3/4ton truck and I've been to all the dealerships (Ford,GMC,Dodge) Just wondering if anyone has had any major problems with any one of these. I am leaning to the F-250 XL but being so late in the year they only have a few and none of them come with a snow plow prep package. The salesman said its only a matter of the front springs being a little heavier. I plan on buying a BOSS 8'2 V Blade. Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

If you plan on going with a boss plow I would suggest you talk to the plow sales rep to see what his thoughts would be on this. A knowledgable plow dealer will steer you in the right direction. Also if you put a plow on a truck without the plow prep package it may void the factory warranty. It all depends on the dealership. Some are funny like that. :gunsfiring:

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

If you put a plow on a truck without a plow package it WILL void the warranty. If you're lucky however the dealer may choose to overlook the fact that there is a plow on it. I for one wouldn't chance it with a 25k+ investment.

4. Brian Young

I understand all of that, but I was hoping to get some feedabck of the different models. I know some guys are loyal to their manufacture's but not me, lol. I beleive they will all do the job. But if I'm going to spend 30k I wanted some feedback from they guys who run them not a salesman who read the brochure. I spoke to a salesman from a Dodge dealer, he has a 3/4 Ram- Cummings Turbo Diesel SLT with snow plow prep, tow package etc. he said the sticker was 35'ish and can let it go for $29,900.00 does this seem like a good deal or should I keep pressing him?

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

is that a reg cab or crew cab amd of a crew long or short bed

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If I had the money to go brand new I would get a GMC 2500HD w/plow and trailer package.

In my opinion that is the best truck for the money that will last over 250k miles and still look good if you take proper care of it.

I got my Dodge 2years ago only because it was such a good deal. I have always run GMC 2500 and got rid of a decent 2500k HD that had 267,000 miles on it and was still going strong. I sold it in Michigan here in town and have seen it since still going.

It had a Western Pro Plow on it and that was a good plow but I have to say I like the Boss much more. Maybe because it is newer maybe because it is Boss I am not sure. The 88 GMC I still have has the same type of plow the other one did and I haven't run a newer Western yet.

7. Brian Young

Its a regular cab/long bed

8. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Were in NY/PA are you located and what Myer plow do you have?

9. premier homes

premier homes Member

heavy diesel

Dodges are Great trucks, I have 2 of them BUT check with the Boss dealer regarding it being a diesel. diesel engines are alot heavier. i know that the only plow that fisher will put on that diesel would be a 7 1/2 ft straight blade. anything more would be over the carrying capacity of the front axle. as far as that price it doesnt sound bad to me .

10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Get the GM truck, but make sure it has the snow plow prep package, if it doesn't go to another dealer. I can save you a little money on a new GM truck. I can get you what is called a supplier discount. I work for GM at the full size truck plant here in Pontiac MI.payup I have given this discount to around 20 fellow plowheads on this site. I receive nothing for this other than it helps GM sell trucks and keeps my plant running.

Regards Mike

11. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I AGREE!!! Buy a GM... i LOVE mine, it absolutely the best truck i've ever been in! Get the Allison transmission and you have a plowing machine!!!! I'd never ever buy a Dodge, and the Ford i have is a POS compared to my 2500HD! Go test drive the 2500HD, they drive much better than the other two trucks!

12. Brian Young

I am in Erie Pa. Its a 7.5 with pro wings and E-60. It has a brand new mold board,poly snow deflector,pump and motor. The "A" frame and sector are around 2 yrs old. Also it has a brand new touch pad controler. All less than probably 50 hours on it. Will seperate from truck I'm selling for $1900.00 (for plow)

13. Brian Young

Well we settled on the F-250 XLT loaded. I stayed away from a GMC due to the front ends... All that weight on the ball joints vs. a solid front axle? My neighbor had one last year with a 8ft Western and he went through 2 sets of upper and lower ball joints in 2 years. I do love the looks of the GMC but I couldn't pass up the deal! $31k at 0% for 60mo. Thanks for all the input.

14. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Chevy 3500

I recently went with the chevy 3500 with 9' fisher xblade and fisher vbox with honda engine. I love it. It all depends on what type of plowing you will do and how many accounts you have. :rolleyes:

15. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Oh yeah definately go with the allison transmission. Its the only transmission I would rely on. After you go through a few trannies in a blizzard you'll know what I'm talking about.:realmad:

16. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

Brian did you look at the F-350s. I have F-250 my next truck will be F-350 . Same ride as the F-250 but more capacity. They do run a couple thousand more but in my case worth the money. Don't get me wrong they're still a good truck. Just wanted to pass on some lessons,that I have learned.

Steve

17. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Poor choice... IMO..... I have no idea what you're talking about.. "Front Axle" problem.... I have a 2004 GM and i wouldn't trade it for the best Ford truck that they currently make... no problem! I own both.. And i think you made a mistake....

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Could not agree more.

My 1988 that i still own and drive has the original ball-joints still in it. Sounds like dealer talk to me or something. Simple case of live and learn I guess.

19. Brian Young

I appreciate all the input but even the dealer I am going to for the BOSS plow said he's seen lots of problems with the front end when plowing with a HD plow like the 8'2 V balde. I also spoke to 2 other people who had a GM and one went to a Dodge and the other went to a Ford . Every vehicle have their problems but I love the looks and power of the Ford Super Duty's. I didn't go with the diesel they had because it wasn't set up for plowing:cry: But like I said I researched enough through guys who actually use them other than for personal use. We'll see.:waving:

20. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Buy a truck. They are all junk!!!! Every one of them has the good and bad. I have plowed with just about all of them. They all break if you dont take care of them. Buy what you like, and make sure it is heavy enough to do what you need it to do. Good luck!!!!