1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firedog, Jul 3, 2001.

1. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

I'm looking to get a new truck. F450 or F550. Pros/Cons?. I'm going to put a service body on it. Fuel tank and couple hundred pounds of tools. Will 2wd work or would 4wd be safer bet. Any help. Rob

I'm looking at a Boss V-plow either 9.2 or 10'

Last edited: Jul 3, 2001
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're getting this truck new, I'd say get the 4x4 if you plan on pushing snow. One "con" to a truck that size & configuration would be: it's going to be pretty big and awkward for residential driveways, better suited to bigger properties.

2wd will work, but there are limits! (Mine's a 2wd dually, it does OK within those limits but I can see a 4x4 in the future..........) Plowing with a 2wd unit works best on the l-o-n-g straight push on flat ground such as big parking lots where you can let your momentum work to your advantage.

Since I don't know a whole lot about Ford trucks and Boss plows, I'll let people more qualified answer those questions!

Good luck with whatever truck you decide to get.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey,

F 450s, own none of them, F 550s own 8 of them. My advice skip the F 450 because the cost difference between the 450 and 550 isn't verry much. The higher GVW and extra Heavy Duty components are worth the extra money. I have 6 regular cab F 550s with 9' dump bodys, and 2 F 550 crew Cabs with 12' Rack Bodys. The crew cabs are for my shovelers. The F 550s will move mountains of snow, put a 3 yard v-box in it, load it full of salt or sand, the truck doesn't even know it is there.

I would go 4x4, unless you have many plow trucks, and this truck would be plowing lots, or roads. Most of the time a loaded F 550 won't need 4X4 however when the roads get nasty, its a good thing to have when an SUV is all over the road.

Here is my beef with Ford. The F 550 isn't cheap, its price is inline for what you get, but it isn't cheap. The 4X4 and HD drive train thaty has been downsized to fit in a smaller truck frame is what drives up the cost. You can buy a 2wd F 650 for less money then the F 550. With the F 650 you get a tougher drive train, truck, and higher payload. The F 650 uses some of the same rear axel ratios as the F 550, however the F 650s rear end is a "normal" 4.86 rear end. It is built to the standard mid size truck with. The 4.86 F 550 rear end must be made smaller to fit the F 550. This is what drives up the cost. Now I am not sure if the F 550 and F 650 both have a 4.86, but ya get the idea.

Geoff

4. firedog

firedog Member
    from midwest

thanks for the advice. I forgot I plow only commerical and industrial, no residental. So the size is not a problem. I'm leaning towards the F550. The dealer told me $300 over invoice, $35,500 and change. And your right I could have bought a F650 super cab cheaper than this truck.
    Rob